Registered users don't see ads

Cherubini 33 Inner Forestay Question

Discussion in 'The Cherubini Hunters' started by Captain Ahab, Jan 26, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Captain Ahab

Captain Ahab

Joined Jan 26, 2018
    3 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter Cherubini
    Mona Lisa Us Port Lavaca
    Have this inner forestay that has a pulley below and at top of mast. Wondering what its for? Boat did have the old school Schaefer free furling system. Maybe this works with that. I do have that system and a jib but not sure of the rigging. Maybe you have seen this pulley setup?

Attached Files:

2. Ted

Ted

Joined Jan 26, 2005
    1,018 posts, 147 likes
    C&C 110
    US Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
    It's probably a 2:1 purchase headsail halyard. Difficult to tell for sure without seeing what's going on at the top of the mast.

3. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    6,061 posts, 521 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    My glasses may be dirty, but that pic does not show an inner forestay. MAYbe that is the jib halyard?

4. Roland5048

Roland5048

Joined May 12, 2004
    993 posts, 270 likes
    Hunter Cherubini 30
    US New Port Richey
    Looks like you have an attachment point just aft of the anchor locker. Look up the mast and see if you have another attachment point, like a tang, just above the spreaders. That would be for rigging a staysail. I don't know what that cable if for except to raise a headsail. A pic from the mast forward might help.

5. Captain Ahab

Captain Ahab

Joined Jan 26, 2018
    3 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter Cherubini
    Mona Lisa Us Port Lavaca
    This is some kind of pulley system. There is a pulley at both ends.

6. DianaOfBurlington

DianaOfBurlington

Joined Jun 5, 2010
    934 posts, 32 likes
    Hunter 25
    US Burlington NJ
    That looks like a downhaul system like that Larry Pardey fitted to Seraphin. It connects to the top hank of the headsail to 'encourage'/force it down when lowering sail in light air. I'm doing the same thing to my boat. The line can be led aft like a furling line to permit dropping the headsail from the cockpit - as Pardey intended, a real boon for single- and short-handed sailing.