Cherubini 27 number sequence?

Mar 4, 2017
Hunter 27 Cherubini Seabrook, TX.
Hello all, first post.

I've just purchased my first sailboat, a 1981 Hunter 27. The hull number is HUN54924M81E.

I know that HUN is for Hunter, and I know that M81E means that it was built in December of 81. I've also been told by at least one other person that their serial number starts with "54".

Would this mean that my boat is 924/2000?

As I've read, I believe that the 27 was a "test" design for a 54' yacht, so is that what the "54" stands for?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Can't help, TooCoys but just wanted to welcome you to the forum.. !
The number is interesting.. usually the next two numbers after HUN would be the model # so in this case, I would expect them to be "27".. Some of the Cherubini folks may be able to help ..
again.. Welcome.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Hmmm...

I've never heard the that the h27 was a test design for the h54. Owning the first, and having been berthed near the second for over 10 years, I'm pretty sure that is not the case. The H27, was the second, and the h54 was the last of Hunter's first line of sailboats, designed by John Cherubini. If memory serves (details are in the archive of this site) John left Hunter before the h54 design was finalized, and it was completed by someone else.

I'm no expert on serial numbers, so I'll leave that topic to others.

We have owned our '77 h27 for 18 years, and I think that with good berth and head room for a 6 footer, they are one of the best small cruising boats you can buy!

Fair winds to you.

May 4, 2010
hunter 33_77-83 wilmington, NC
My 1978 33 ft has this HUN60052M78C I think the 60 is the hull model, the 052 means it is the 52nd one ever built then the M78C is the month code and year.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
My 84 H27 is HUN55330M84C. Comparing 55330 with your 54924 could mean that 406 boats were built during the two and half year period. According to Sailboat Data about 2000 H27s were built from 72 to 84 so the 406 boats seems reasonable. Curious what the early H27 #s were.

Mar 4, 2017
My 84 H27 is HUN55330M84C. Comparing 55330 with your 54924 could mean that 406 boats were built during the two and half year period. According to Sailboat Data about 2000 H27s were built from 72 to 84 so the 406 boats seems reasonable. Curious what the early H27 #s were.
It would seem to me that my '81 would have been built before your '84. So your's being #330, and mine being #924 doesn't make sense. At least to me.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Im comparing all 5 digits. 55330 minus 54924 equals 406. Its just an educated guess.

Mar 4, 2017
So today I was going through ALL of the original paperwork that came with my boat, and I found this! An explanation to the "50" "54" and "55" on the serial number.

This would mean that my boat is hull number 924.

IMG_1144.JPG

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
TooCoys, strictly by vintage your boat is a Florida-built boat and I'm almost dead certain HM changed the HIN format when they moved, in effect making the Alachua plant look like a different company (since for a time they ran both production lines concurrently). This was probably for internal-accounting purposes but does us owners little good for clarifying what we have.

I do know absolutely for certain that the humble little 27 and the race-bred 54 have virtually nothing in common as regards design or original purpose. Whoever reported that they do is guilty of post hoc ergo propter hoc. I personally worked on the design of the 54 with my dad, with my brother Steve, with Warren Luhrs and with my dad; all of us had substantial input into the design of the race boat Tuesday's Child (as in 'is fair of face') and into the design of the production H54 that came after. The race boat was designed in 1977-78 and the production model was not any reality before model year '78-'79 or probably more like '79-'80. I first saw a production H54 at Annapolis in '81 (and hated it. Another story).

Also, to my knowledge, none of the HM-assigned HINs reports an actual serial number, as in from hull #1 onwards. Throughout the industry these are coded as to production line, production year, production month, and sequence in that month; and that still is not enough for us to always know for sure which boat is newer or older than another. The Marlboro (NJ) numbers are more easily deciphered; but they're like dreams: too easily misinterpreted, and their misinterpretations too often spread far and wide as though definitive when they're anything but.

What I do glean from your HIN is that your boat was a December 1980 boat, probably the 24th hull of that production line that month. The 'M' designates a model year-- this is by law-- and the 'E' indicates the fifth month, with August being 'A' -- also by law. I expect the '549' is referring to the Alachua plant (they may have doubled the hull size as a kind of code-- that's a guess) and each number there indicating something else. Remember in Marlboro they had two lines of 25s; I never visited the Alachua plant but I know it was much bigger and for all we know they ran two or three of each model there. In most boat shops they can switch lines over to other models depending on orders; so the '5' or '4' might have indicated which line it came through even though that line may have been meant, at first, for the 30 or 25 or any other.

The best way to find some light in this tunnel is to poll other Alachua-built H27 owners and catalogue HINs, something I've been trying to do with Marlboro boats for years. It's a lot of data to collect and sift through and I haven't found the time.

I hope to spend some time with John Luhrs later this year and this is one of the things I'd like to discuss with him. More as developments warrant.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Its really interesting how different the numbering scheme is for the Hunter 27, perhaps due to the sheer volume produced. I have never seen a HIN for a Hunter 37 Cutter that did not start with "HUN37" then the sequential hull # (based on the entire production run) and then the model year and build month. I have collected and confirmed over 100 HINs from owners of Hunter 37 Cutters (about 25% of the total production) and the scheme is pretty consistent, with maybe two or three out-of-sequence numbers. Sometimes the hull # will not follow the build month of the numerical sister-ships before or after her. I figure this may be a result of special orders, the hull getting 'parked' from the production line, waiting on parts, etc. But, as JC II states, reading the information in the HIN is a bit like interpreting dreams...there definitely is not the level of precise information that one would find in the VIN for one's car, for example.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Jim, one reason the H37 HINs appear consistent is because this model was, to my knowledge, produced only at Alachua. The models produced at both Marlboro and Alachua concurrently, for however short a period, seem to be those with the indecipherable HINs.