Charging Issue

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Back in the spring I bought a CMI 90A IR alternator. This charges my 2 GC2 batteries quite well. I rarely plug into shore power and use the Sterling ProCharge Ultra 30 charger I also purchased from @Maine Sail. I have the alternator output ran directly to the house bank with a service disconnect installed.

Several times I've checked the battery voltage after arriving at the boat and find 12.7 volts which I believe indicates a fully or near fully charged battery.

This week I've been able to sail every day. I motor about 15 minutes out and then 15 minutes back. Power consumption is GPS and auto pilot for the 3-5 hours of sailing.

On the ride back last night the alternator belt started squealing when I started the motor to come in. The tach would "turn off and on" and I could see the volt meter jumping as the alternator would load and unload. Then the tach went to zero and the volt meter only showed the battery voltage as the alt stopped charging. I backed off the throttle from 2500rpm to around 1500 rpm. The belt stopped squealing and I motored back in.

This morning I tightened the belt but the alt still wasn't charging, per the volt meter, and the tach remained at zero.

I have plenty of battery power so we went sailing anyway for the afternoon. When it was time to come back in I started the motor and still no tach or charging. After about 5 minutes I heard the motor load up and the tach came to life and the volt meter showed the alt was charging. The alt would load, then unload, a few times. Then it loaded up and stayed charging while we motored the final 10 minutes back to the dock.

We went out again to watch the sunset and motored for about an hour and the alt worked fine the entire time.

My first thought was the alt sense connection but this alternator internally senses the power at the alt output that is connected directly to the batteries. The only connections to the alternator are the output +, output - and tach sensor.

Any ideas why it stopped working for a while, even with a tight belt, then started again?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Corroded brushes in the alternator got stuck in their brush carriers & lost contact with the commutator????

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The only connections to the alternator are the output +, output - and tach sensor.

Any ideas why it stopped working for a while, even with a tight belt, then started again?
Ward, anytime anything electrical is intermittent, 99% of the time it's the connections. Check both ends of every wire. Most likely back of alternator. Good luck. Be systemic.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check your connections. Don't let the warranty on the alternator expire, if the fault repeats itself again get a replacement.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
FYI, Maine Sail and I are troubleshooting this off line.

In the meantime today we are finishing up a great week of sailing. Thanks to Maine Sail’s advice on how to build a great electrical system a charging glitch did not interfere with our sailing.
Will post some pics in a day or two.

Thanks