Changing Furler from Below to above deck: Hood 810 to Selden 204S

Aug 15, 2013
Hunter 35.5 Legend 003 San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
So I have a 1990 35.5 legend with the original hood 810 furler. Time to change the furler. Extrusion rivets are going bad and I do not like the continuous line - it jams in the drum at the worst times. Done with this furler. I am looking at a Selden 204S. I am sure I am not the first guy to want to do this change so I was hoping there was someone out there that has made the change before that would share their experience.

The complication comes in that I am in Albuquerque and my boat is in Mexico. I have lots of pictures, a few measurements (never enough) and would like to purchase the furler without having to go down again. I think that will mean I will need to change the forestay length using something like a tang or chainplate to extend the location where the toggle connects to the furler above the deck. I don't think re-engineering the location of the forestay attachment is a good idea or one I want to tackle. I know I can get custom tangs made at RigRite.com.

In addition, I will need a new Jib - cut for the furler above deck instead of below deck. I will need to have the new jib when I install the furler so I need to get the new measurement before the furler is installed. I do have the old jib in my possession and I think I can calculate the new luff length as (old luff - new tang length). Sound reasonable?

I will be doing this myself, with the assistance of a "rigger" in Mexico. I have used him once before to change my forestay that was birdcaged at the top because of a furler jam before I bought the boat. I am concerned I may have done the same thing as well. With the new forestay I used a swage at the top and Sta-lok fitting at the bottom to adjust length. I will change the forestay again because of the stress of potential birdcaging when the Hood 810 jams

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter 41DS Reed Point Marina
I had the hood set up on a 37.5 Hood offered a replacement for the continuous line set up . might be worth a try to contact hood see if they still have the replacement drum set up. It was an easy switch over

Aug 15, 2013
Unfortunately they don't. Was that a replacement of the drum only or the whole furler?

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
is there a reason you want selden? their US service is atrocious. read the posts on yelp ; it takes them 7 months to replace a part that failed under warranty. the HQ 'tech support' no longer talks to owners; you have to talk to a retailer. i have selden as oem on my boat. i'd NEVER voluntarily do an upgrade to a selden , unless of course i lived in finland or italy where one can still get parts.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
I replaced my single line Hood furler on my 35.5 last year and initially considered moving it above the deck too. But, when I measured the clearance between the anchor locker door and the position of the forestay, I determined that I would need to raise the drum 16 inches off the deck. I wasn't willing to give up that much sail area, so I went with a new Hood Seafurl-5 below the deck. I'm very happy with the installation and ease of use. BTW, Hood no longer offers the conversion from continuous line to single line furlers.

Aug 15, 2013
is there a reason you want selden? their US service is atrocious. read the posts on yelp ; it takes them 7 months to replace a part that failed under warranty. the HQ 'tech support' no longer talks to owners; you have to talk to a retailer. i have selden as oem on my boat. i'd NEVER voluntarily do an upgrade to a selden , unless of course i lived in finland or italy where one can still get parts.
Because I don't know any better... I looked at Hood's stuff again, you have me looking... Any one else with opinions on the best furler- I know I am opening that up, but heck, why not. Help a guy out, if you had it to do over again, what would you choose and why?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If the 810 were like new, would you still hate it ? Is rebuilding it an option to consider? I like the nice heavy line I have on mine. The wife finds it much easier then the shoestring on the CDI we had on the previois boat.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
A tip in the Hood installation manual is to de-core the furling line to it doesn't fill up the drum and cause it to jam. I stripped out about 15 feet of core, leaving me with plenty of line thick enough to grip when furling.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
I replaced my single line Hood furler on my 35.5 last year and initially considered moving it above the deck too. But, when I measured the clearance between the anchor locker door and the position of the forestay, I determined that I would need to raise the drum 16 inches off the deck. I wasn't willing to give up that much sail area, so I went with a new Hood Seafurl-5 below the deck. I'm very happy with the installation and ease of use. BTW, Hood no longer offers the conversion from continuous line to single line furlers.
My 35 is an '87, what year is yours? Any chance you have or could take a picture of you drum install? I've got the 810LD and am pondering what will fit below the deck, or otherwise.

Which model of the Seafurl-5 did you get?

Chris

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I have the Selden 204 and have had no issues with it. Works well. Replaced the OEM unit (Facnor) that came on the Beneteau. Replaced the forestay at the same time and did the install myself (measure 400 times, close your eyes and cut once). I did it with the mast down.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
My boat is a 1993 Hunter Legend 35.5. I believe the model that was installed is the Hood Seafurl-5 H253.5. My rigger consulted with Hood and was told this is a direct replacement for the 810 model.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Suggest you look at Harken also. I had Harken on my P39 yawl for many years with no problems at all. I have Selden now and it has been fine for 11 years. No problems. I maintain it and use it correctly.

Aug 15, 2013
A tip in the Hood installation manual is to de-core the furling line to it doesn't fill up the drum and cause it to jam. I stripped out about 15 feet of core, leaving me with plenty of line thick enough to grip when furling.
Well that is an interesting idea. I will be heading down in the Fall and I just might try that. Do you remember what size line you had that you stripped? It does look like that might work better. I assume it is still not good for partial furling, but if I can get it to work without jamming it would take the pressure off replacing it. Thanks for the idea !!

As far as would I keep it if it were brand new and not jamming? Probably not. It is not designed to be a partial furler. In or Out, that is what it is good for. I will most likely go with a Hood 235.5 and move the drum above the deck. Keeping it below beck is a nice idea, looks pretty, but encourages negligence on maintenance. Also, if you have ever replaced the forestay, you would know what I mean by saying it is an SOB to get to.