Changing Batteries

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Scott. I just did this. Get the wet cells, They work just as well and are less than half the price. If your 270 is factory wired each battery is connected independently to a 2 bank charger. The shore charger is independent from the battery switch. You can leave the batteries off and they will still charge from the shore charger. What everyone else said is also correct. My opinion is to get 2 deep cycle wet cells and use them in "both" mode They will easily get you through a night at anchor with lights and music running. I invested $50 on a charger pack from harbor freight. I never had to use it but it is worth its weight in gold for the peace of mind it provides. Just charge it monthly. I have group 24 size batteries. I would check to see if group 27s fit before buying them. The batteries are in pretty tight. Also NEVER switch off the batteries or the ignition switch while the engine is running. Apologies if you already knew this.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Agree with everything Steve has said. Wet cells are less cost and simpler, kiss. With 12v refrigeration I will run one house battery down so I always keep the starter in reserve. Ran my house battery down to 10 volts several times on hot nights this past summer but it was about 12.75 volts when I disconnected it in the fall and 12.59 yesterday after sitting all winter. I am hoping a new led anchor light will help. Next time I will go to a larger group 27 for the house. The charger charges each battery independently.
Stu, you are an amazing resource. Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Larry. I found two deep cycle batteries that provide... 135ahr each from Dyno Batteries in Seattle.
http://www.dynobattery.com/products/sweeper-and-aerial-lifts/30tmx.php
In the KISS model at 12volts each, these power my house system. 2 batteries provide a bit more power than 2 gc-2 batteries at 6 volts but, if one fails I still have 12volts DC power. Nearly the same weight. They are true deep cycle batteries designed to power sweepers or Air lifts and the beauty is they fit in a Group 27 box. An idea for powering your boat.
Think the cost was about $150 a piece.