Centennial AGM batteries

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Has anyone used them? Tried the forum search function but didn't see much info.

My hold down straps broke and my nearly new flooded wet cells tipped over making a mess and as it turns out ruining the batteries. I'm thinking to go AGM this time and the battery shop is telling me these are the best deal. Any experience with them out there?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Has anyone used them? Tried the forum search function but didn't see much info.

My hold down straps broke and my nearly new flooded wet cells tipped over making a mess and as it turns out ruining the batteries. I'm thinking to go AGM this time and the battery shop is telling me these are the best deal. Any experience with them out there?

There is only one deep cycle Chinese AGM brand that I would trust and that is Full River. Fullriver deep cycle products are blue or red, when sold by one of the major high quality battery manufacturers out of Canada. There are piles and piles of sub-par Chinese AGM's that are not really such a "deal" in the long run. I know the manufacturer of those batteries and they are one of the myriad of low quality parts, high volume slap any old sticker on them, low price factories. Most of the Chinese made AGM's are not deep cycle and I see them usually barely make it about two years.

Easiest option is to install them correctly so the hold downs can't fail and you have acid containment and then you can use less expensive flooded batteries.

Premium AGM's would include Northstar, Odyssey, Lifeline & Firefly. I consider, based on testing, the next tier down to be Rolls (AGM's) & Fullriver and perhaps the new Trojan Reliant AGM (may wind up as premium) but as of yet its durability has yet to be proven.

Deka/East Penn AGM's are decent starter batteries but not deep cycle. Their GEL batteries however are tremendous, if you have the proper charging.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Thanks for the response Maine Sail, I always appreciate your expertise on this subject. I will increase the budget and get a different brand, the Full River looks interesting. One other thing, I have a Mariner ProSport 20 plus but it's not the new Gen 3 model. It says it charges AGM at the same rate as flooded wet cells. Is that going to work OK or do I need to get a new charger that lets you set a custom profile?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Since you're in Seattle, and if you stick to FLA, you can buy directly at Dyno Battery right off the production line. Have always had good experiences with Dyno. They are on 23rd close to Fishermans Terminal.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I do like the Dyno batteries, that's what I bought for the replacements last year. I live just across the canal from them. I put in 2 of their 6 volt, 315 AH batteries. However they were 6" taller and 40# heavier than my old Dyno 105 batteries which I believe caused the failure of the hold downs. The H34s inherently have a starboard list and more battery weight made that worse too. I'm thinking it might be better to give up some amp hours and go back to flooded. I was looking at a pair of 6 volt Dyno D145s but those 12 volt, 135 AH ones would give me more AH for less weight.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Charlie. I looked hard at the selection. Decision thoughts were
  1. 12 volts - 2 battery’s if one fails I can isolate and still have 12 volts available. 6 volt batteries depend on two batteries to run 12 volt system.
  2. Weight. I can change batteries alone.
  3. Size. Fit in Group 27battery box
  4. The 30TMX is a True deep cycle battery. Heavy plates and 700 cycle battery.
  5. Cost similar to the 6 volt GC batteries
  6. 270 amp hours minimum needed for weekend trips.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Charlie. I looked hard at the selection. Decision thoughts were
  1. 12 volts - 2 battery’s if one fails I can isolate and still have 12 volts available. 6 volt batteries depend on two batteries to run 12 volt system.
  2. Weight. I can change batteries alone.
  3. Size. Fit in Group 27battery box
  4. The 30TMX is a True deep cycle battery. Heavy plates and 700 cycle battery.
  5. Cost similar to the 6 volt GC batteries
  6. 270 amp hours minimum needed for weekend trips.
That's a good list of benefits. I decided to stay with flooded and put in a pair of them yesterday. They're about $165 each this year. I'm not sure how they get more amp hours with less weight than the 6 volt GCs but decided to give them a try.

Oct 22, 2014
The Dyno battery is heave plate technology. 135 amp hours 12 volt. A little larger than the 6 volt CG2 at 225 amp hours. but not as tall. 2 of them give you 270 amp hours in 12 volts. 2 CG2’s gives you 225 amps with 12 volts. Both groups give you 700 cycles.

There are many options. MaineSail did a great cost benefit analysis on his sight.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Ok sorry to hijack this thread a bit but my ignorance with batteries makes me wonder..... I am considering 6volt batteries as a replacement to my two 4ds. When putting two 6 volt batteries in series is there a spark when attaching the positive to negative? I always assume it would be like when you drop a wrench across the positive and negative of a battery or is that because In that example it’s the same battery. Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
Connection positive to positive. No spark.
EDIT... Open posts. No Spark.
Connection of positive battery 1 to negative battery 2. No spark. Now have a 12 volt system.

Connect new 12 volt battery system - positive to negative,
3F8731BD-2829-4D08-BC2E-F4AAB5A85782.gif

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
There is no sparking when connecting two 6 volt batteries together in series. Unless of course you forgot to turn off the load.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What Charlie said. When you first connect the positive of batt 1 to the negative of batt 2 there is still no circuit, so no elections flow, so no sparks. Of course, after that if you connect the positive of battery 2 to the negative of battery 1, you have jssailem’s picture.

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
Northstar's "premium"? Huh, howzabout that! Just scored 4 of the red 100 ah units out of a nuke plant sensor/warning system. Sitting for 9 months and show 13v ... Guess that's good?? Still hafta figger the charge rate and float. For $37.50 per, I can worry it out. ;)

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
What Charlie said. When you first connect the positive of batt 1 to the negative of batt 2 there is still no circuit, so no elections flow, so no sparks. Of course, after that if you connect the positive of battery 2 to the negative of battery 1, you have jssailem’s picture.
Thanks......