Catalina 380 Fuel Water Separator

May 26, 2004
Catalina 380 New Castle, NH
I have a 2000 Catalina 380. The location of the water separator/pre-filter on the fuel line is astern of the raw water filter, under the stern cabin bunk and is situated in a location with very little clearance above the surface of the bilge beneath. When it's time to change the filter, it's virtually impossible to catch the fuel and gunk that drains out the bottom of the filter without getting it all over the bilge.

Does anyone have any suggestions for relocating that filter, or have you seen it in any other locations in a 380?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The reason I chose small filters (still well within flow ratings of the engine) is so I could fit a water bottle under the drain. Big filters like the Racor 500 are nice but extremely tall. I had a Dhal filter before and was lucky to get a pie tin under it
This is a early Catalina 36 - but maybe changing the filter style is easier than moving the filter

Mahalo
2C89F2B2-BBCA-4C23-9CF5-1BDDC550A2F6.jpeg

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I put a disposable aluminum loaf pan under the filter, unscrew the whole deal, keep filter upright in pan, take it to the dock and drain into pan. Then I remove the bowl to the new filter and replace.