Catalina 350?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete

Catalina is advertising the 350 model in the new Cruising World. There's nothing on the Catalina web site about it yet. It looks like a larger version of the 310. Does anyone have any other info?

P

Pat Tyler

Catalina 350

I have the specs. that my dealer sent me including a layout and drawing. Sent me you e-mail address and I'll forward it to you if you like.

T

Tim Leighton

JUST TOURED FACTORY

Pete: Just went down to the Tampa area for a tour of the factory as they complete my new 400. Big talk down there is the 350 which is under construction. They have advertised it will be debuted at the Atlantic City Sailboat Show, but from the discussions I had with some people there, it is going to be touch and go to have it ready in time. I didn't see much of the boat, but here are a couple things I did see/hear: 1. Very beamy! I'm guessing it is around a 11-12' beam w/ maximum beam well aft. 2. Main stateroom is a centerline "V" berth forward. Queen size. 3. Has design features from both 34 and 36. 4. Initial engine will be a --- diesel, but next summer they are hoping to introduce a hybrid diesel/electric. Will use a diesel generator (Panda or equivalent) hooked up to an electric drive train. HUGE weight savings and will also allow use of things like airconditioning at anchor since the boat will already have a genset! Catalina is extremely excited about the potential of this new boat and I think is going to showcase several high tech improvements. That's all I have, hope this helps. To be perfectly honest, if I'd not already ordered a 400, I think I'd have waited to see what the 350 had to offer. Guess we'll all have to wait for Atlantic City to get a first look...I hope!! (I suspect someone will be working overtime over the holidays to get this boat ready). Tim Leighton S. Chesapeake Bay

L

Les Murray

The 350 is beamier than the 36

The beam on the new 350 is wider than the C36 MKII, according to the advertisements, over 12 feet. The layout looks like a 34 with a head forward. Les Murray s/v Ceilidh 86 C36 #560

P

Pete

Three foot envy

Thanks Pat. My e-mail is pwpson@earthlink.net. I liked the concept of the 310, but wound up up with a 320. The 350 looks even better. And Tim, I wouldn't trade in my 400 just yet. That's an awesome boat. Good luck with it.

D

David

Is there a layout online anywhere?

I'd be curious to see it. I love the 30 but HATE the 310. Thought it was choppy

D

Dave

310?

David, don't be to hard on yourself! We egarly awaited the introduction of the 310, but when we saw it, were disappointed in the layout also. We are liveaboards in the summer, and the main salon is where we spend most of the time, down below. We opted for a newer Cataline 30 MKIII and just love it for the room (with the table up, of course). The 35 sounds interesting, but will wait until we see it to make a judgement. Fair winds Dave S/V Westwind

B

Bill

It ain't all that...................

From what I saw in the layout and copy from the 350 ad in "Sail", Catalina seems to have addressed some of the shortcomings of the 36 ie:, small holding tank, small standard battery bank and lack of a stall shower but I still like the layout of the 36MKII better. The head in the 350 feels like it's in the wrong place, it sticks out into the middle of the salon thereby interrupting the flow of space (sorry, I'm an architect). If they put the head where it really belongs, they'd have the 34MKII again. Also, dinette seating is very limited. If Catalina really wants to hit another home run then they should just make a few needed improvments to the 36MKII and it'll sell foreva!

T

Tom

Bill ...small battery bank on the C36?

I have a '99 36 MKII and it has 2 4-D's for over 400 AH standard....Not enough?.....Its very easy to add a a starter battery (I am doing that now -- its a small AGM)...its also easy to add more, I know someone you has over 800 AH, he just put the extra right under the settee just forward of the sink..... I think the 36MKII is almost perfect.....yes the smallish holding tank is one of the few downsides....but its really not too bad....and it "could" be retrofited to larger with some work .....but I don't seem to need it too bad...... I guess the innerspring mattress w/walk around bed in fore cabin and an enclosed shower is a big selling point........ I bet the C36 will be able to sail circles around this 350

M

Michael C. Polt

Catalina 350 specs

Could you please e-mail me the info you have on the new Catalina 350? Many thanks in advance? Mike Polt mcpolt@yahoo.com

B

Bill

Tom, about the small holding tank...

When I talked to Catalina about the small tank on the 2002 36MKII I ordered they said there were two solutions..none of which involved them improving the tank by the way. The first is to order the U-shaped dinette and install a new tank under the section of the dinette backing up to the head. The other was to cut through the bulkhead under the L-shaped dinette and put in a longer tank excepth that they have a waterline running to the head through the middle of the space and it's glassed over! I would be interested to know how long you can use your tank between pump-outs. Another thing I wish catalina would do in the 36 is to get rid of all that wood trim in the head so there would be no need for those two vinyl curtains hanging around adding moisture to the boat as well as the door to the forward stateroom, i'll never use it. I agree that the 36 would probably out sail the 350.

T

Tom

Bill...re holding tank in C36MKII

as far as how long do I go?.....I can go a good weekend with me, a female adult and 2 girls on the boat without too much of a problem...(Though I am Cap't Bligh and I insist that they don't over pump, etc....Arghh..;-).......I tend to go out every weekend and when in transit I'll dump the tank (over 3 miles from either land fall out in the Middle of LI Sound where there is a good flush).... Yes I did think about the one method of increasing Holding tankage via to cutting through the bulkhead under the L-shaped sette seat.....I would have to make a custome tank but its do-able. I know about the water hose, but that shouldn't be a problem ...just have the tank be above that and slanted downhill slightly.....(Crap flows downhill anyway...) I did not calculate how much area which would compute to gallons of holding tank space increase would be acheived though......I can get by in my sailing area, but if I was somewhere else where I couldn't "dump"...then I would more seriously consider doing the mod...

B

Bill

More about the holding tank

Since I'm planning to live aboard my 36MKII I don't want to have to be pumping the thing out all the time so I think I'll end up cutting thru that bulkhead under the dinette and I figure I can re-locate and re-0glass the water line. Then, having a new tank made up for the entire length of the space I figure I can just about double the capacity....well, get at least 30 gallons anyway. Actually, if Catalina were to relocate the water heater and charger and a few other items to where the holding tank is now, they could install a larger tank under the "L" part of the dinette backing up to the galley.

W

Wentsailing@aol.com

CAT350 AT Atlantic City

I talked with them today-- they are busting chops to get it to Atlantic City in time and are pretty sure it will be there. We have a 36 and actually the 350 looks like it incorporates some of the features we wish we had. We have preliminary specs and the floor layout sketch.

D

David

IF it's like the 310

Then I would'nt have it. I've got a c30 and have just come from the annual boat show. Once again, I looked at the 310 and said "huh?" The interior is chopped up, no hull liner and basically seemed smaller inside than my 30. If the 35 is along these lines, then I'd be dissapointed. It looks like they are trying to copy the Hunters.

T

Tom

Dave ....I guess I know what you are talking about

But can you say....Large Walk around BED...Innerspring Mattress, etc....the 310 is marketed for an older cruising couple ......It doesn't maximize the area for 2 couples or parents with kids as well as traditional layouts....and as far as best utilized space, I don't think you can get any better than the Catalina 36.;-)

C

Chris Hyland

Layout

The C36 is just a great layout. We own a C36 and my wife is all for a C42 if it had the same salon layout of the 36! But it doesn't! I really like the 42 but quite frankly it isn't layed out as good as the 36... Somedays you just come up with a perfect idea! The C36 was born on one of those days! The C30 was born on another one of those days! The 350 may be good for some people, but my guess is they'll never sell 2100 of them... Regards, Chris

J

John J

I guess it's time to stick up for my 310, #26. To each their own. It is definately not the traditional layout of most boats it's size, but it works great for us. While most don't seem to like the "Chopped" up feel, I love that I have never had to crawl into my bunk. Our kids are off in college, and we are usually overnight by ourselves, so there is plenty of room. Are their some changes I would make, yes, but overall we like the 310 so much, I am anxious to see the 350. IMHO

P

Patrick Turner

350 in Atlantic City

The Catalina 350 is already in route to Sail Expo in Atlantic City. It will be on display with a Champagne Crash on Friday night. See you there. Patrick Turner Catalina Yachts

C

Chris hyland

Catalina Owners Party

Patrick, YOu guys have a great team down there. We heard it was touch and go whether the 350 would be ready. It's obvious you've all worked very hard to be ready. Congratulations! I heard there is a Catalina owners party on Friday at the show. We're going and were wondering when it starts. Best Regards, Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.