Catalina 350 vs. 36 mkII QUESTION

• Thread starter marty Seitzinger
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marty Seitzinger

I am about to travel to go see a 2003 350. I cannot find one in Chicago to look at before I go. I am MAINLY interested in the giant cockpit that the 3 mkII has, and am wondering if the 350 has the same size cockpit. i do charters, and I for SURE need a boat that seats at least 6, if not 8, in the cockpit COMFORTABLY forward of the wheel. Does anyone have direct experience with both cockpits, and can they tell me if there is much difference? If I am convinced that the cockpit is large enough, I am going to travel to see the boat. Marty

K

Ken

cockpit size

I can get 6 comfortably around my cockpit table in a 34 Mk1 with the smaller cockpit. 6 should not be a problem in either the 350 or 36 MKII. Not sure about 8. Can't tell exactly from the brochures at the Catalina web site, but they look similiar in size. Might want to call a dealer on Yachtworld.com that is offering a 350 and see if he will measure it for you, or you could try the factory.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Most people I know that own a 350 like

the 36 MK II better. There are trades off with both boats. These are tops on my list: 350 Air conditioning is easier to install. Carries more fuel. 36 MK II Better cabin layout. (Top reason 350 owners like the 36 better) Faster / better sailing hull. NOTE: I am a 36 owner...

P

Pat

Go to Burnham Harbor

See if you can get on dock "O" There is a 36 mk II and a 350 in close proximity to one another (not for sale). Notice the greater step up that you would need to get aboard the 350.

C

Chip

350 is a great boat

I had to make a choice between the 350 and the 36. My wife wanted the 36 because of the foldup dinning table. I liked the 350 with the larger beam and easier access through the companion way. This was the first time that I won an arguement and I am glad that I did. This past weekend we had 12 on board all in the cockpit. It was tight but everyone had a seat. Six to eight people will be no problem at all.

T

Tom S

If you are making your sole decision

based on cockpit size then the C350 would win. Its a much wider boat affectionatley known as a BAB (Big A** Boat) BUT - I have to ask why would anyone buy a boat for specifically that reason. if thats the biggest concern then buy a Hunter ;) , their cockpits might be even bigger. The C36MKII can seat 6 in the cockpit with 2 more in the "pushpit" seats you can fit 8, the C350 has the wider boat but it does have a permanent Cockpit table in the center of the cockpit (Though I bet you can get it without one). The C350 also has the Bridge Deck which gets another one (or possibly two) seats that the C36MKII would have. I have closely analyzed the C36MKII and the C350 and (IMHO) the cockpit is the only thing the C350 has over the C36MKII (ok maybe a few other things for the C350 1) the stand up seperate shower - but at the cost of a lesser salon 2) the option of bottom opening fridge 3) Huge cockpit lazarette 3) larger Holding tank)

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Tom S one more

bgger fule tank. 28 gallons is a pain in the neck for crusing.

M

Marty

Thanks for the input - Especially Burnham harbor!!

I will try to get to Burnham this week and hop on O dock. I have to say, the permanent table thing does not thrill me. I will have to see what can be done to remove it of I go with the 350!

May 16, 2007
- - C350, Ontario, Canada
Keep the table

I like the table on our 350. Especially when healed over. The high side folks have the foot bar on the table to keep them from sliding to the low side of the cockpit. Without the table the other side of the cockpit is too far away and you will not be able to stay in place. My $.02 RB Catalina 350 "Wolfhelm"

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Lose the table

it takes up too much room and is an eye sore. Get a nice folding up table.

Lyle

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter Passage 42 Pt Roberts, WA
Just bought a 350

I just bought a Catalina 350 - mainly for the layout and space it provides in the cabin and the cockpit - more than most 37 - 40 footers. It also sails well (I just sold my Hunter 35.5 Legend which is a great sailing boat but can't compete with the layout and features of the Catalina 350. IMHO I think the Catalina 36 is an dated design and for me it was no contest between the 2 boats = I would not have traded the Hunter for a Catalina 36. I don't have a cockpit table installed so it was an option - personally I like it without.

C

Chic

Cockpit

We looked at both boats when purchsing our 36, Truth be told each has some upsides but over all the choice for us was clear MKII 36. Reasons: Large cockpit 16 is our record for Happy Hour, much better main salon area with fold up table. Much more storage than any other catalina including the 400 and 42. Usable V berth vs: a one person bed in the 350. Granted they say it is a double but the only way two sleep in the bow is Head aft, with this set up nothing to hold pillows from falling off bed and you still have to spin around to get out. The real attraction to that boat would have been the ability to sleep head to bow (CANT BE DONE). Forward game table seat is not in salon and closer to head. Can use a AP 4000 vs a below deck unit. Less windage for docking. Lastly, IMHO the 36 sails circles around the 350 altough neither are race boats. Upside to 350: Large lazzorette in cockpit, stall shower, more head room in aft cabin. It's all one man's opinion but we could of had either. The thing about a 350 I find most interesting is that after walking in it you either love it or hate it. No middle ground. Park yourself at a large boat show like annapolis and listen to the comments. Pretty interesting.

May 16, 2007
- - C350, Ontario, Canada
Sleeping

Interesting comment on the head to bow sleeping arrangement on the 350. My wife and I do sleep head to bow in the 350. We seem to have room to spare, rolling over without disturbing each other is not a problem. ( We are both medium build ) Also the table in the main salon can be removed for more space or a smaller cocktail table (nice feature) can replace the large dinner table. I don't know about the "sailing circles" since I have not raced ours or had the opportunity to sail side by side with a 36. I do know that our 350 can both motor and sail quickly. I do like the fact that we can keep the full canvas up in stronger wind. The 350 does take quite a bit of wind to heal over. We have the inmast furling option and the 150% genoa. So reefing later without leaving the cockpit is a nice feature. The downside to handling the heavier weather well is that in light airs we really need a spinnaker to get moving. Hopefully we will be getting one of those next year :) I agree with the love it or hate it comment. We had never seen or heard of the 350 before we saw it at the boat show and immediately fell in love with it. The non-typical sail boat layout in the salon sold us.

B

bill

350 experience

I have a 2004 C350, and compared it to the 36 before I bought. I am large, 240 lbs and 5'11, though my wife is much smaller, 5'6 and about 120 lbs, we have no trouble sleeping head to bow. In addition, the cockpit is well laid out and very large for a 35' boat. A folding wheel is a must. As far as performance, I have passed many larger boats, including the 36. Not only is the 350 a sweet sailing boat, it is fast, definitly faster than the 36. It points well and is easy to handle. More often than not, I singlehand. My only real complaint with the boat is the lackluster refrigeration performance.

C

chic

Unreal

Boy you guys most love to lay on top of your wives all night! We measured the head of a 350 V berth and it is less that 28", for us that is ONE PITLLOW width. Please enlighten me as to how two people share on pillow and are not disturbing each other all night when a sleep. I am 6'2 and 195 and my wife is 5'4" and 135, for us to sleep on that berth I need the entire length which gives us no room. I am glad it works though for your guys, it would not cut it for us. As to performance, if you say so but I can tell you the extra waterline does not add that much more speed and the extra foot of beam although nice at the dock does not provide any performance factor. Long and narrow are fast long and fat are comfortable. Hey just my opinion the thing that is most important is that everyone is happy with their purchase and it sounds like you are.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
US PHRF

Pretty much even on the handicaps: Lo Hi Avg CATALINA 350 138 161 147 CATALINA 36-2 WK 141 159 150 CATALINA 36 138 159 144 CATALINA 36 SD 145 159 150 CATALINA 36 TM 132 147 138 CATALINA 36 TM SD 141 141 141 CATALINA 36 TM WK 144 152 147 CATALINA 36 WK 138 153 147 CATALINA 36-2 TM WK 141 150 144

May 24, 2007
Catalina 350 Herrington Harbor
Comments on 350 vs. 36

I've sailed both, and they're both great boats. I happen to be one of the ones that loves the interior layout of the 350. A couple of comments: 1. The cockpit table is an option, at least if you buy new. Ours came without, and I was told it would cost $1000+ to add one. After a season of use, we've decided we like the wide-open spaces. Sometimes we bring the folding dinette "stool" up to the cockpit for meals. 2. I am 6' 3" and my wife is 5' 10". We have no problem with room in the forward cabin berth, sleeping head aft. Yes, we have to do the bow-berth breakdance to get in and out, but this is helped by the cutaways at the sides. 3. The refrigeration has to be the biggest drawback on earlier 350's. The system was supposedly improved somewhere in the 300's (2005-2006). There are a number of things that you can do to improve the situation substantially, but unmodified, the older system will kill a 4D battery in 24 hrs.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C350 Refrigeration performance or

lack thereof Could you please enlighten us as to what the problem was, what the actual equipment that was installed consisted of, and what the "fix" was? It's always helpful to have an issue, options for repairs, and conclusions & recommendations. If I was looking for a POed C350, I'd sure want to know. The C36s didn't seem to have that refrigeration issue (nor our C34s). Thanks, Stu

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
Stu - Try.....

Stu - Try http://www.catalina350.net/ Couldn't help myself! There is a lot of discussion and details about the C350 refer system on the site. I have hull #68, and here in the pacific northwest, I'm able to utilize my C350 refer/freezer as intended. As noted, it is an "energy hog" - but like any system, it has to be managed. Good Luck! Tim Brogan April IV C350 #68 Seattle

May 24, 2007
Catalina 350 Herrington Harbor
Fixing the 350 fridge, etc

Stu- I echo Tim's recommendation. The Catalina 350 International Assoc. website that he provided a link for has a lot of information about the refrigeration system and various improvements that owners have made. See the "Forums & Discussion" there. You will also find that, despite the refrigerator, most owners love their 350's and would not trade them. A few people seem to have no trouble with their frig's at all. Almost everyone has at least a high power draw, and some seem to be unable to obtain reasonably low temps, especially if they are based in the warmer climes. Mine (in the Chesapeake) stays pretty cold, but the compressor runs constantly to do it. The basic problem seems to be that the refrig. and freezer are very large but have only about 2" of insulation around most sides. Some units have open gaps where the box joins with the counter top, but mine didn't. Here are some of the things that owners have done, beyond testing for proper refrigerant level: 1) Seal gaps at box/counter joint. 2) Replace insulation in hatches and door (I've been told that Catalina will send upgraded insulation for these on request). 3) Add a second gasket seal to the each hatch and door. 4) Add an Adler-Barbour ventilation duct kit or booster power duct kit to move hot air out of the boat and prevent recylcing of hot air over the condensor. 5) Add more holes in the partition between the freezer compartment and the frig compartment to allow more infiltration of cold air to the frig side. Most 350 owners (and owners of many other models)have added an engine cranking battery so that both of the 4D's can be used for the house. This makes power draw less of an issue for weekenders, but longer term cruisers will still have to find a way to replace that power periodically. I just completed adding a Group 24 cranking battery under the port settee and it was rather easy. Total cost, including custom-made 2/0 cables was less than $300. (As a side note, I got an estimate from a local electronics shop to have this done, and it came to $1700, including $700 for cable and 8 hours of labor at $95 per hour! I'm no expert, and it took me less than 3 hours.) Gary Even Keel II

Status
Not open for further replies.