Catalina 18 vs Capri 18

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
I understand from what I read that Catalina changed the name of the Capri 18 to Catalina 18 in the year 2000. Does anyone know if the production process/materials used changed? Or, is it the same boat. These are solid glass hulls, correct? Does anyone know what the decks are cored with?
Thanks for the help.

Mar 28, 2015
Catalina 18 273 Pine Beach NJ
Hi! The Capri 18 and Catalina 18 both share the same hull. The Capri has a standard keel drawing 2 ft. The Catalina has a wing keel drawing 2 ft. 4 in. The Catalina also has an updated exterior cabin top,more rounded or curved. The cockpit and interior remain the same. The winch location also changed,cabin top for the Capri and side deck for the Catalina. I believe construction methods remained the same,and also believe the deck and cabin top is cored with balsa. I have only installed one extra cleat in the deck for the tack line used with an asymmetrical spinnaker and had what looked like balsa come out when the holes were drilled.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
Thanks for your reply JA. Good information. Last night I bought a 2003 Catalina 18 from a private owner. I had been looking for a smaller boat that I could sail in protected waters closer to home and looked at a Precision 18 and a West Wight Potter 19. Not sure why I looked at the Potter but owners rave about them and so I had to take a look. For my preferences the Catalina 18 stood out way beyond the other two. I owned a Cape Dory Typhoon a couple years back and was thinking that I should probably get one of those again. But when I got a close up look at this C18 I found it to be a lot more roomy and the quality of the boat seemed very, very good, very stiff and overbuilt, which is a comment I see from many other owners of the C18. So I'll be waiting until next spring to sail her but I'll enjoy getting all the info I can about it. One thing I have to change is the traveler the PO put in the cockpit across the seats. Gets in the way of moving around the cockpit. I've seen comments that the stock system is not totally appreciated, so, initially I'm thing of a simple Crosby set up. I've used that system before and it works well. Maybe in my reading I'll find other owners with a good system.