Catalina 18 Mast Stepping

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
Is the C18 mast easy enough to just walk up, hand over hand, by walking the cockpit seats and assuming you have someone to grab the headstay? Thanks for your help.

Mar 28, 2015
Catalina 18 273 Pine Beach NJ
Yes,you can raise the mast that way. It is easy for 2 people, not difficult at all. I have even done it by myself by running a line through the bow pulpit to the cabin top winch lifting and pulling at the same time. At least when I was younger! I have recently made up a contraption utilizing a broken Sunfish spar,block and tackle,1/4" braided line and a few eye bolts and snap shackles. All either free or from the hardware store. No expensive stainless here;not needed. With this I can now raise and lower the mast by myself again.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Is the C18 mast easy enough to just walk up, hand over hand, by walking the cockpit seats and assuming you have someone to grab the headstay? Thanks for your help.
A line with a shackle whose pin will fit through the eye on your forestay will make life easier. You can fashion a crutch to push the thing up the rest of the way without leaving the cockpit. Once the person on the forestay has it under control and the shrouds are tight enough to prevent swaying, you can go forward on the ground to insert the pin while the other person tends the wire.