Cat vs Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dakin Zurfluh

Moving up...So many choices!

I realize this is the "catalina" owners site, but I would like some constructive advise. We (family of 4) are moving up from a Macgregor 26 and have narrowed our search to the Cat 30 and the Hunter 30 (in 30k-40k range). We would be sailing mostly in southern Puget Sound with an occasional trip to the San Juans. (mostly protected waters) WHAT would you do and why? Thanks in Advance. Dakin

J

Jeff Walker

Hey Dakin....

How old of a boat are you looking for? For $40K you could buy 2 Catalina 30's. $20K will buy you a very nice 1984 boat with all of the bells and whistles. Best of luck, Jeff

S

Stan Rogacevicz

Dakin

I think cruising with a family of 4 says it all. My previous post - "apples to oranges" spoke about stability and seaworthiness. Another big reason to go Catalina is support. You will be hard pressed to find a marina that doesn't have a c30 in it and a staff that is not somewhat familiar with them - they are everywhere ! I don't know if I have ever seen an H30 or not but I do know that even over here in the east c27's and c30's are part of the scenery and you are just up the long :>) road from the factory. The general Catalina lists and the c30 specific list on sailnet has more information than you can imagine. Stan "Christy Leigh" c320 #656

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Dakin...

With the sailing you plan to do, either will work. Go with which one calls to you. Take your family aboard both to see how things "feel." Find one of each that's for sale, whether in your price range or not, and go check them out as a family. You'll soon develop a preference - go from there. Have fun! LaDonna

M

Mike Elmore

wouldnt pay 60k...but...

Joe, I bet the boat could be had for 45k. Practical Sailor has no review listed of it, but it is a feature boat in the November issue of Good Old Boat. I can't wait. Again I'm dreaming...it would be hard for me to dock it single handed frequently...my C28 is better for that. If only it handled the heavier weather better... -mwe

C

Craig Cody

Sailing in Olympia

I grew up in Olympia, my great-grandfather settled there in the mid 1800's, when it was still called New Market. But that is beside the point. Compare the Hunter and Catalina and you will find the Cat to be the better built, heavier rigged boat. I had a C-30 prior to my present C-36, and it was a blast to sail. I've sailed on the Hunter, and the feeling of stability and solid construction on the Cat was totally missing on the Hunter. Go with the Catalina. We always used to call Westsails "Wet Snails"...look at a Dreadnaught, a low production boat, built in Carpenteria California in the late 70's and early 80's and often mistaken for Westsails. They improved all of the things that were wrong with the Westsail, most notably they changed the cockpit design so that it was a drier ride. Nice boat. Definitely my choice for a cruiser in that size range.

T

Tom Long

Cat 27' '71

I just bought a "project boat." I see from your responses that you guys know a lot about Catalinas. So, my question is, what are some of the flaws I should be looking for on this boat. That way I will have a heads up on the things I need to repair. Thanks

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Tom Long

You might want to post this as an original question in either "Ask an Owner" or "Mid-Size Boats". You're more likely to get the answers you're looking for. LaDonna

G

Gary Jensen

catalina/hunters/others

I must admit that the Catalinas are my favorite of the competively priced boats presently in production. There are a few changes I would like to see in the present models. I would jump at a 40 if they eliminated the forward head and just had a small vanity (like in the 380). My next choice is to see how they did with the 42s new "CENTERLINE" berth.Those are two modifications that will suite my wants and make move up from my 380...

Status
Not open for further replies.