Cat Rigged Sailboat - Pros and Cons

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Hi Guys,
I saw a Seaward cat rigged sail boat on Dillon lake a while ago. I sail single-handed most of the time and the lake can be very tricky with shifting wind direction and quickly changing speed. So, the cat sounds kinda interesting to me. Anyone out there have one and/or anyone have pros and cons of a cat rigged vs. a sloop rigged.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Guys,
I saw a Seaward cat rigged sail boat on Dillon lake a while ago. I sail single-handed most of the time and the lake can be very tricky with shifting wind direction and quickly changing speed. So, the cat sounds kinda interesting to me. Anyone out there have one and/or anyone have pros and cons of a cat rigged vs. a sloop rigged.
Perhaps others might comment about their cat rigged experience, but the Freedom series cat sloop boats give you the best of both worlds. Boating live-aboard buddy has had a Freedom 32 for many years that sails quite nicely.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well a cat boat is super easy to sail. You only have 4 or 5 lines on the entire boat. Tacking is super easy. I bet one large sail is cheaper than a bunch of smaller sails. Performance wise? I expect a sloop outsails it, but I am not sure the difference is so dramatic. Most cat boats are relatively heavy and not exactly modern keel/rudder setups, and a little slow. Wyliecat 30 is light and modern underbody and is fast. For lake sailing and single handing I think a catboat is a good choice.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A single mast cat rigged boat sails better than a sloop or a cutter under jib or main alone, but not better than either under proper sail.
So, if you're not looking for sailing performance, but the ease of sailing instead, a catboat may well be a good choice.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

AFAIK, The pros and cons:

Pros of a catboat:
- Shallow draft
- Easy to sail - just one sail, tack by just turning the wheel - tiller
- Fast downwind with the large sail

Cons of a catboat
-Pointing ability - can't point high, don't go upwind well

Barry