Capri 18 new owners

Jul 4, 2013
Catalina 22 Trailered
Just picked up Capri 18 390, a 1989 model. Can someone tell me what the cleats are used for on the mast? There are two on the starboard side, one on port side.

Are the winches used for jib sheets or tensioning halyards?

There is a block on the aft part of the boom, about 2/3 back on the starboard side and a line tied to an eyestrap on the port side. Use? Reefing the main maybe?

On the deck by the bow, an opening into the deck with a chrome cap. Chain locker access?

Thanks!
Kent

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
The top cleat on the starboard side is for the main halyard, the cleat below it can be used for the cunningham, or the forward reefing point on the mainsail. The cleat on the port side of the mast is for the jib halyard.

The Capri-18 is easily modified to bring the halyards back to the cockpit. Mine had the factory mast raising system, and I simply removed one of the bolts on the cabin top for the lower attachment of the baby-stays. I installed an eye-nut and installed a block. It all lined up perfect with the slot used for the halyards to exit the mast. I installed 4 jam cleats on the top of the cabin for the jib down-haul, jib halyard, cunningham, and main halyard. A photo saves a thousand words, so I'll attach some photos of this easy, cheap, and useful project.

What a GREAT little boat the Capri-18 is!

Don

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Must be an older Capri-18, as I recall, the older versions had the jib sheet winches mounted on the cabin top.

Don

Aug 9, 2015
Catalina Capri 18 Perry, ME
The top cleat on the starboard side is for the main halyard, the cleat below it can be used for the cunningham, or the forward reefing point on the mainsail. The cleat on the port side of the mast is for the jib halyard.

The Capri-18 is easily modified to bring the halyards back to the cockpit. Mine had the factory mast raising system, and I simply removed one of the bolts on the cabin top for the lower attachment of the baby-stays. I installed an eye-nut and installed a block. It all lined up perfect with the slot used for the halyards to exit the mast. I installed 4 jam cleats on the top of the cabin for the jib down-haul, jib halyard, cunningham, and main halyard. A photo saves a thousand words, so I'll attach some photos of this easy, cheap, and useful project.

What a GREAT little boat the Capri-18 is!

Don
Yes, a very fine boat it is. I have a 1987 Capri 18 and would like to extend halyards and downhauls to the cockpit. Could you send me your pics? jimmyld3 p.s. I don't do facebook