camcleats on capri 18

Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
i just hate the jam cleats the catalina puts on the capri 18 to handle the jib sheets. im thinking of putting cam cleats on to replace them. any suggestions?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
On my Mac25 I used a couple of these swivel/cam cleat/fairleads mounted on track cars. I used a 2' track. They worked really well. I bought these when I misplaced my other ones but never got around to mounting them on tracks. They can be used with out tracks but I had 100, 135 and 150 jib and needed the track.
I really liked them because I could set the sheets from the windward side of the boat. They can also be used with a winch since they swivel. I seldom needed the winch except when the wind picked up and I was still on the Genoa. Here is a picture of the ones I had on the Mac 25.
I will be selling them on EBay soon. If you are interested in them send me a pm.

Attachments

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Do it. I had cam cleats for the jib on the Capri 16.5 and they worked pretty well. Capri 22 has cam cleats on the cabin top for the 98% blade and self tailing winches for the genoa.

Oct 22, 2005
Catalina coronado 15 NE
I switched mine out after the first season . The clam cleats are a joke. I added a spacer to the cam cleat which had a slight angle to them . It makes it easier to use and they never lose the line... very secure.

Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
im sure you meant that the jam cleats are a joke. can you post a pic of your cam cleats?

Oct 22, 2005
Catalina coronado 15 NE
Really bad pic

Bad pic but you get the idea . I think CaptDon might have some better pics. I also tried to move my main halyard to the stern but it was too complicated for my taste. Passed on that one

Attachments