Calling all racers!

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
I need some advice. I am planning on racing this Saturday. It is basically a straight line about 5 miles. I have my main and a 110 jib and a 150 jib. So any suggestions? The weather is scattered t-storms, winds up to 20 mph at times. I have an un- experienced crew but I know the course. We should be fine with the exception of the lighting.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Straight line... at what wind angle???

Nov 8, 2010
Not sure yet
Look at the forecast. The 3-day will be accurate. Try the WindAlert app.

Unless you know the wind you don’t know the course.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
People more expert than I say pick a sail for the lulls not the gusts. Changing sails on a 5 mile course isn't competitive. Get your novice crew on the rail. They should see the cockpit while transiting it while changing the side of the boat they are sitting on (So if T-Storms are in the forecast life jackets should be readily accessible). I don't really get the straight line course but I assume you are talking about some sort of feeder race or port to port regatta. Yeah and if it's downwind the larger sail with a pole is the best choice. Upwind, if it's really going to be that 20 Kts. the small jib will be good. The way fronts come through you can have light winds until the front hits. So it can be a crap shoot. It's only a one hour and change race. I believe "Scattered" means 30% chance of Zing -Bang! Plan for the gradient wind, not the front.

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Thanks shemander. I guess what I meant by a straight line course i's we are on a river/lake and from point A to point B is and back is pretty much straight with very slight deviations. At this point I am probably not going to attempt to race considering today we had tornado's about 45 min north and the weekend is 100% rain and thunderstorms. The week days here are beautiful and the weekends always are terrible weather. Land locked sailing what do ya do...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I agree that going out in potentially severe weather is a bad idea. We lost a sailor locally about five years ago when an experienced crew started a race as a tropical storm had just passed. A man was killed by the boom in front of his adult son. Who needs that?

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
All of f the above is good advice. Assuming windward leeward race, and your first, be conservative. Especially at the starting line. ( no need to play bumper boats) take a timed run or two at the line, so when the horn goes off you have boat speed and are near enough to have a clear slot. Playing the luffing game is fun and intense but can be white knuckle with inexperienced crew.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I agree that going out in potentially severe weather is a bad idea. We lost a sailor locally about five years ago when an experienced crew started a race as a tropical storm had just passed. A man was killed by the boom in front of his adult son. Who needs that?
Can't forget the 2017 Dauphin Island Race, not all that far from where Dug lives. Six lives were lost, ten vessels sunk or destroyed, 40 people rescued from the water. A capsized Catalina 22 was RUN OVER by a much larger vessel, which was never identified.

And that was "just" a garden-variety spring thunderstorm.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Those "Garden Variety" storms are the ones that get ya! I was up at my favorite lake last long weekend with 2 friends and their new to them '86 C-22 and my new fishing boat. We pulled their boat Wednesday morning, de rigged and got her ready for the road that afternoon. I had just put more sunscreen on and was going to go out and fish that evening when the first bolt of lightning struck a couple of miles away. Radar indicated an isolated storm cell that just might pass by and a larger one to the south moving our way. Long story short, I was sitting in the truck watching my tent get flattened by the wind and sideways rain when the NOAA weather alert went off about a severe thunderstorm in the area. I made it through with no damage to the camp site or the boat but sleeping in a wet spotted bed brought back memories of being 2 again or back in college. ;)

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
The regatta last weekend was great until a puff of 25mph came up and ripped my main sail. We were in first, the guy sailing with me just got back from the BVI''s racing on a 50 ft catameran. Luckily my insurance is replacing my main sail from Schurr sails and another guy gave me a back up. The sail ripped about 3 ft on a seam so a friend of mine that is a sail maker (retired) is fixing it for free.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
That's terrible - and happening in first place to boot. How old was the mainsail? Was she sheeted in tight, and just got slammed by the gust and ripped down the seam?

Nov 8, 2010
The regatta last weekend was great until a puff of 25mph came up and ripped my main sail. We were in first, the guy sailing with me just got back from the BVI''s racing on a 50 ft catameran. Luckily my insurance is replacing my main sail from Schurr sails and another guy gave me a back up. The sail ripped about 3 ft on a seam so a friend of mine that is a sail maker (retired) is fixing it for free.
Wow you must have good insurance! Mine would never pay for a sail damaged by the wind, let alone in a race!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I've had several chutes replaced by insurance over the years from racing damage.