C380 cruising speed

Claygr

Feb 10, 2014
Catalina 387 Milwaukee, WI
We have a Catalina 387, which I believe has the same footprint and profile of the C380 below the waterline. In flat water without a headwind, we do 7 knots in the 2400 RPM range. We can get up to hull speed (7.6 or so) at 2800 RPMs. We have the Yanmar 3JH3E engine and a Flexofold three-blade prop.

Oct 7, 2012
Catalina 380 Oakville
We have a Catalina 387, which I believe has the same footprint and profile of the C380 below the waterline. In flat water without a headwind, we do 7 knots in the 2400 RPM range. We can get up to hull speed (7.6 or so) at 2800 RPMs. We have the Yanmar 3JH3E engine and a Flexofold three-blade prop.
We must be doing something wrong. 2800 gets me 6.5 max. 2400 is 6 kts . Would love to be able to do the same. Do you also see white steam from your exhaust and what temp does your engine run at 2800? Mine starts to climb north of 200 after an hour or more. Many thanks for your help. We are on Lake Ontario.

Claygr

Feb 10, 2014
Our temperature never gets above 185, which is the opening temperature for the thermostat. You should be able to run your engine at max RPMs without the temperature climbing above the thermostat rating. Perhaps you have an obstruction in your raw water pump or the heat exchanger from a damaged impeller?

We will occassionally get some condensation in the exhaust if the air is cool and wet. We saw more of it last year with all the fog and the cold lake temperatures.

What sort of bottom paint do you have on your boat? We use Pettit SR-21 and it produces a slick, fast surface.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Jeff, when you say 6 kts, is this the reading on your knot meter or is it a GPS reading? My knot meter reading is .5kts less than my plotter reading and my hand held. Maybe yours is similar?

Cheers

Oct 7, 2012
Catalina 380 Oakville
GPS reading. Looks like I might need the heat exchanger serviced as everyone says they never go above 185. It's the 3rd year like this and we ran into 30 plus knots last week and would have like to run above 2600 rpm but the engine started to heat up. Guess we will pull the heat exchanger and get her cleaned.

Claygr

Feb 10, 2014
I would not be surprised if you had impeller pieces in your raw water pump, the hose that leads to the HE, or in the HE itself. We had an overheating problem when we got the boat and that was the cause - impeller pieces in all three places. Same issue when we purchased our C34.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Also, check your raw water strainer. Clean if necessary. Also, discount the raw water thru hull from the hose its attached to and briefly open the thru hull. Sometimes the thru hull is clogged. Poke a dowel or stiff wire through to unclog.