Butyl tape at Princess Auto

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Wish the auto stores around here had that! Guess I just need to move then. :)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Not all butyl is made the same.

Read Maine Sail's discussion. He did the research to find the better product.

Your boat, your choice, but why buy something that hasn't pased the test of
"The" guy who does our homework and research for us?

Erieau

Apr 3, 2009
Oday 25 Erieau
Holdech,

I saw the butyl on the PA rack too. It looks like the same stuff Maine sells as Bed-It.
However, having bought a few rolls from Maine, I can attest that his is a way better value. I got three huge rolls of the stuff, each costing the same as the little roll at Princess. I thought I'd never use so much butyl, but once I started using it on my stanchions, every piece of deck hardware called out for it. I'm glad I have as much as I do.
Having said all that, it's great to have a back-up last minute supply of it.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
I use Maine Sails butyl tape too - swear by it.
I was just surprised to see this other brand - have only seen butyl at a couple "real marine" stores (I don't count the window stuff at the big box stores ).

Chris

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I just walked in the door from Princess Auto. I didn't go down that boat isle. I did quickly go down the other with the rubber trailer accessory's.
I actually picked up a roll of butyl from a glass store here in London yesterday. They call it 440 tape. It's really stretchy! I used it for my glassed rudder vacuum bagging experiment. (Successfully!)
This afternoon a buddy and I took all the topside cabin hardware off. Tomorrow I will be adjusting the holes... V... and washing off the old stuff. In preparation for the butyl I have. (What did they use on those parts...? It's sticky inside the cabin and hard outside. It failed outside... If it had stayed like the inside stuff there wouldn't be leaks.
Here are some photos of one of the really fun spots to get at... The middle attachment point of the SS bar along the sides of the 26D. I had to cut the foam to get at the nuts.
I also have a long 11mm socket stuck inside ware the foam is. I'll get it out with fancy magnet tricks. (I hope.)

Attachments

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Ever expected to see Butyl and rigging tape at Princess Auto.

View attachment 75216

View attachment 75217

View attachment 75218

4' rolls !!!! :D:D:D:eek::eek::eek:

It is truly sad to see folks getting soooooo ripped off.... When I wrote that original article in 2005 I never guessed so many sleazy companies would jump on the butyl band wagon to scam folks out of their hard earned money with crap product......
Some things to keep in mind when buying a butyl bedding tape:

*There are HUNDREDS of formulations of butyl tape most of them being very poor quality for the intended application. How will a cheap tape perform when compressed at 1/64" thick, in a compression seal, and the stanchion flexes? How does it compare to a pre-EPA regs tape?

*None of these formulations have passed my rigorous testing for marine bedding applications. It would have been very easy to slap my label on a pre-made tape... Bed-It is not a pre-made re-branded tape it is specifically formulated for bedding deck hardware, at the performance level, not just the label or packaging level.... I worked very hard with my lab to ensure folks were getting a premium tape product specifically engineered to suit bedding deck hardware and for a fair price. Bed-It is specifically engineered for bedding deck hardware and is not even a true "butyl". Bed-It is a hybrid-elastomer that has butyl as one of the main compounds. It is what is added to the Compass Marine Inc. formulation that makes Bed-It what it is..

I have tested far too many manufacturers and "brands" of butyl and know nearly every manufacturer of this product that is out there.

I get about 1 request for my business a week, many now coming from China and the Russian block nations because I have tested most of the North American manufacturers. I often engage them, and get samples..... They are pretty laughable....:D

Considering what each roll cost me, and what I sell it for, it represents a tremendous value to the end user compared to the RV or other low level butyl tapes. My manufacturer tells me I am nuts but I still feel that I need to compete even with sub par products. The proceeds only fund my FREE www.marinehowto.com site anyway...

*Bed-It Tape is a proprietary formulation because it needed to be.... I initially tried to source a pre-made tape that performed as I wanted it to. It did not exist, that I could find, at least as far as I have seen & tested. Sadly the great pre-EPA tapes of yesteryear are long gone. If you want a good butyl based tape today, comparable to yesteryear, it requires expensive raw materials, lots and lots of testing and many tries at a suitable formulation.

Most companies are unwilling to do this and simply choose to re-lable cheap RV grade products. I have not seen or tested any tape sold as "marine" that even comes close to Bed-It Tape from a performance perspective.

I suppose I could have sourced cheap, bottom of the barrel, butyl and resold it in 7' rolls for $17.99 and I would be retired by now..........;) I don't believe in that, and it is sad that the process of bedding deck hardware with a butyl type product may get a bad rap because of sleazy companies trying to make a quick buck.

Cavaet Emptor on the band wagon "marine butyls"... Bed-It Tape was born specifically because of the poor quality butyl tapes that exist in the market and a niche that needed to be filled.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
I can understand why there is a market for cheap as well as a market for overpriced but "right there" at the store products.

Just think how many people use bathtub silicone on their boats! They either get "armchair sailor" advice, don't care (it will outlast me attitude) or succumb to the advertising on the package. In my business, I fear the "armchair advice" from people who really don't know what they are talking about - but come across as experts.

Oh well, as long as I'm not the next owner of their boat :)

BTW Maine Sail - love your website - I point anyone that mentions "re-bedding" there...

Chris

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
You're not suggesting a big store would sell an inferior product are you??? GASP!

I remember years ago when Wally World started selling coolers for low prices. They beat the mfg up so bad, they had to take the foam out from between the shell and liner to get the cost down. Wally World didn't care as long as it had the brand name on it and they could sell it for less. After all a cooler is a cooler, right?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Hey Chris,
Depending how far inland you are, PA is one of the boat stores. The other two have brown or white delivery trucks. :)

Cheers
Gary

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I wonder about the butyl that sailrite sells.... anyone have an opinion?

Not at all the same product as Bed-It Tape and not even in the same ball park.. I have a number of rolls customers have sent me, after using it, and then ordering Bed-It Tape.

I can potentially save some frustration by letting you know that Bed-It Tape is not really a typical "butyl tape" it is a hybrid formulation with butyl as a main compound. It has been specifically formulated for bedding deck hardware in the marine environment. The term "butyl" is only used because that's what most people think of when they think of a tape like this.

If you're in Canada Marine Outfiftters is the importer & distributor for Bed-It Tape. If you are in the US it can be purchased at Hamilton Marine. You can also purchase it at MarineHowto.com.

If I could figure out how to ship it to SBO, and not have the shipping costs increase the cost of product to the point where it not worth stocking, I would do it in a heart beat. Sadly there is just not enough margin in the product to do that and leave enough room, margin wise, for a West Coast distributor.

Feb 8, 2013
Tartan 34 sw florida
Not at all the same product as Bed-It Tape and not even in the same ball park.. I have a number of rolls customers have sent me, after using it, and then ordering Bed-It Tape.

I can potentially save some frustration by letting you know that Bed-It Tape is not really a typical "butyl tape" it is a hybrid formulation with butyl as a main compound. It has been specifically formulated for bedding deck hardware in the marine environment. The term "butyl" is only used because that's what most people think of when they think of a tape like this.

If you're in Canada Marine Outfiftters is the importer & distributor for Bed-It Tape. If you are in the US it can be purchased at Hamilton Marine. You can also purchase it at MarineHowto.com.

If I could figure out how to ship it to SBO, and not have the shipping costs increase the cost of product to the point where it not worth stocking, I would do it in a heart beat. Sadly there is just not enough margin in the product to do that and leave enough room, margin wise, for a West Coast distributor.
Maine sail, I see you everywhere that Butyl is mentioned. You are vigilant, I will give you that. No offense!
I am a guy who likes to get way more then one opinion on everything. butyl is no different. I cant find any product that sailors have been using, yet it is mentioned often. (except for yours, Bed-It). I did see it at HM.

It is frustrating to find only one butyl that can be used for marine. Again, no offense, but I am wondering what else is out there considering that so many are using butyl.

I just took off my stanchions and other deck fittings. I had used 3M 101 (polysulfide) over 15 years ago. I was quite impressed with the durability. Tube goop is a pain in the ass, as most know. I know I have used butyl for some non marine things in my life.

Anyway, I will most likely buy Bed-it tape. I am just looking for comparison and it is frustrating.

The cost seems comparable to tube goop, but the shipping is crazy. Oh the joys of internet shopping. But it still beats the West Marine that is one mile from my house.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada

Good to know. I was about to put in an order at Marine Outfitters ( use them quite regularly ). Will have to add a roll to the order.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Hamilton Marine calls it Butyl tape also, so no worries. ;)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Something to consider, however, is that shipping is definitely not free, and there are lots of people who swear by the 87 cents they saved ordering something on the net, and never take into account the $45 to ship it.
Even with the added shipping costs for the store, it would make it a whole lot easier for the 'west enders' to get some....