Bunk boards and bottom paint

May 21, 2013
Catalina 25 Long Beach
Hello Again,

I'm going to need to bottom paint before she goes back into the water. My question is, how do I safely Lift her off of her trailer bunk boards in order to sand and paint those areas normally covered by the boards. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Jul 15, 2015
Catalina 22 Raleigh NC
could you rig up something to jack the boat up then evenly distribute the weight the bunk boards would carry somewhere close?
I have to scrape barnicles off my old boat and I made new supports beside the bunks that were a little higher so I could get in there.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
painting while on trailer

A friend has a home made boat lift that I have use for 25 years to do my bottom but, having broke my neck last fall I wanted to go very slow, over a period of a week and not have to bend my neck to see the bottom so, having washed the bottom in my driveway by laying on a dolly I thought that I would try painting this time.

See attached PDF of how I have recommended and actually doing it.

Attachments

Aug 12, 2010
Catalina C22 Lake Erie
I had written on this when I had jacked up my C 22 in the past. The responses were all like "yeah, yeah, we all have our way of lifting the boat..." For those people, this is not for you. I used a bottle jack and a 4x4 towards the bow. I had recently replaced the trailer bunks and kept the old ones. I laid those inside the trailer ones w/ a 4x4 cross beam. then jacked that up w/ a hefty car jack. It was surprisingly stable. I teetered it back and forth to switch sides. Let the keel hang and it'll take some weight off. Not a lot of clearance, but enough to sand and paint.