Bulk Head Replacement

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
I replaced my old bulk heads because of water damage. I replaced them with 3/4 inch finished oak. I stained and polyed them before installation. I was surprised that all that was holding them in place are small nuts and bolts. I replaced all the hardware and used larger flat washers. I am just wondering if I need to reinforce them anymore than what was originally there?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
My experience (take that with a grain of salt) would say that the stock bulkhead in good mechanical condition is quite adequate for the task. What I have seen and repaired myself is the less than stellar fiberglass layup that Catalina was somewhat infamous for (completely understandble given the price point and margins on this boat). As noted below I tend to see stress cracks in the fiberglass especially on radius edges. Easy to fix /fill/reinforce and fair while the bulkhead is off:

File_002 (1).jpeg

File_005 (1).jpeg

File_000 (2).jpeg

File_003 (1).jpeg

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
When I removed the bulkheads I had no stress cracks. I will have to see if the 3/4 oak works. I have enough poly on them if I get water seepage I should be ok. I re-bedded the chain plate's with butyl tape and 3m 4000

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I agree that the bulkheads were probably fine as they left the factory. And I strongly suspect your 3/4" oak ones are stronger than mine!