Box over Thru Hull

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Recently I read about a boat that sank due to a speedo paddle wheel thru hull failure.
This is the only thru hull on my boat.

Is there any value to building a water tight or near water tight box with removable lid
over the fitting to minimize potential flooding due to failure?

I haven't heard of anyone doing this.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Don't know the details, but guessing it may have been a plastic fitting that got cracked from an impact to the inside part .. or someone stepped on it, or someone overtightened it trying to stop a leak.. Don't do that and ya won't need a box or a plug.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Most boats that sink show signs of failure and owner doesn't do anything about it.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Most of those these days are sold with a plug that should be attached to the thruhull in case the paddlewheel transducer fails. Look around the boat and you might find it.

Aug 22, 2011
Most of those these days are sold with a plug that should be attached to the thruhull in case the paddlewheel transducer fails. Look around the boat and you might find it.

I installed the speedo myself (always fun drilling a big hole in the bottom of the boat),
the safety plug is attached where it belongs.

My thought on this was to minimize what might happen if no one were around to install the plug...

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
That transducer in so many boats and as said remove and clean often and this way you can check
and I have a red red spongy thru hull plug and also some wooden plugs in case of emergency.
Nick

Jan 11, 2014
I installed the speedo myself (always fun drilling a big hole in the bottom of the boat),

My thought on this was to minimize what might happen if no one were around to install the plug...
Through hull don't break by them selves. A catastrophic break usually requires some kind of force applied to the the fitting, something heavy slamming into them while underway, someone stepping on one, etc. They can develop slow leaks from corrosion or wear or from being poorly installed. A plug won't help in that situation.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG

Then pull the transducer and replace it with the plug each time you leave the boat. Secondarily, it will keep the paddlewheel clean.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Recently I read about a boat that sank due to a speedo paddle wheel thru hull failure.
This is the only thru hull on my boat.

Is there any value to building a water tight or near water tight box with removable lid
over the fitting to minimize potential flooding due to failure?

I haven't heard of anyone doing this.
If this is the same boat, I saw a youtube video of this happening. The boat in question suffered as a 'low budget' operation and an appalling lack of maintenance. I doubt they ever looked at the 30 year old transducer before then. Moral? Take care of your stuff, and it will take care of you.

Jan 11, 2014
If this is the same boat, I saw a youtube video of this happening. The boat in question suffered as a 'low budget' operation and an appalling lack of maintenance. I doubt they ever looked at the 30 year old transducer before then. Moral? Take care of your stuff, and it will take care of you.
This video?

These folks seem like nice well meaning folks, who have a lot to learn about sailing, boat maintenance and cruising. They have a dream and are trying to live it. The learning curve is steep.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I’m late to this but if your transducer through hull is in a location that would be vulnerable to damage - for instance sliding of an anchor stored in the bilge - I would think some protection would be prudent.
By code buildings are protected by bollards that keep cars from hitting them.

Aug 22, 2011
I’m late to this but if your transducer through hull is in a location that would be vulnerable to damage - for instance sliding of an anchor stored in the bilge - I would think some protection would be prudent.
By code buildings are protected by bollards that keep cars from hitting them.

Is that a vote for the other side?

These guys have been brutal! Piling on ONe afTER the OTHer...
Almost Wished I'd asked my stupid question over at the Anarchy....

Jan 11, 2014
Is that a vote for the other side?

These guys have been brutal! Piling on ONe afTER the OTHer...
Almost Wished I'd asked my stupid question over at the Anarchy....
@topcat0399 Sorry if you feel we've been brutal. You asked a question and you got some very reasonable answers. Those answers have provided you with a better understanding of the risks involved with through hulls.

You are free to do what you want with your boat. If you want to build a box over the top of the through hull, go ahead. If you think you'll get better and more civil advice over on SA, then ask your question there.

Aug 22, 2011
@topcat0399 Sorry if you feel we've been brutal. You asked a question and you got some very reasonable answers. Those answers have provided you with a better understanding of the risks involved with through hulls.

You are free to do what you want with your boat. If you want to build a box over the top of the through hull, go ahead. If you think you'll get better and more civil advice over on SA, then ask your question there.

I was kidding really.

I really appreciate all the great info presented and try to take it all to heart.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Topcat, it’s your boat. If it makes you more comfortable to put a waterproof box over a plastic bodied through hull, I’m with you. I don’t think anybody has been to hard on you; in fact they’ve made valid points regarding through hulls. But, you’re the one that’s going to be aboard (or the one who finds it on the bottom of your slip) when the excrement contacts the air movement device.

A properly constructed waterproof box, with gasketed watertight access cover, is a great way to prevent a catastrophe. If I had a plastic bodied through hull below the waterline, I would likely do the same. However, it should not take the place of regular inspection and proper maintenance. I suggest you make the cover clear so you don’t have to remove it to inspect.

It’s called secondary containment. Engineers do it all the time in critical applications.

If you want to see what it feels like to really get tuned up by a group, buy a Mac 26x or m and head over to Sailing Anarchy.... You ain’t seen nothing here. These folks are gentlemen (and women) sailors with a good sense of humor.

Good luck, and post pictures of your box when finished.