Bow Thruster, do I need One? What do they cost?

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 44DS Cape Coral
I am looking at buying a Hunter 426 or a Hunter 44DS. Our cruising will be up and down the ICW and to the Bahamas. When not sailing, the boat will be docked so I will be going in and out of a slip. Two of the boats do not have bow thrusters. How much of a problem is lack of a bow thruster? Any idea what they would cost if it is a necessity.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What is your captains experience?

For me, I would love to have a bow thruster on a 40-foot boat. I was on a Hinkley 50-footer with a thruster, and it made for very easy docking. Getting up along side the fuel dock was a breeze, etc.

Others will probably say that if you are a good skipper, you don’t need a thruster...but I would like one.

I keep my eyes open for boats that already have them installed. Lots of expense to add it after the fact I think. Labor to install the tunnel, cost of thruster unit, batteries, and install of all that stuff.

Greg

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 44DS Cape Coral
Just finished the ASA 101 Keel boat sailing,103 Coastal Navigation and 104 Bareboat Chartering. I wasn't allowed to use the bow thruster on the 39 ft boat we used for the classes but I think it would be nice.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have missed my docking 2 times in many years of backing into our berth. Both times was with a 20 knot wind on my beam. We wished for a Bow thruster then.
I looked at a retrofit bow thruster, at the urging of the Admiral.

Lots of expense to add it after the fact I think. Labor to install the tunnel, cost of thruster unit, batteries, and install of all that stuff.
:plus::plus:
I was amazed at the thrust needed to fight a strong beam wind on my H430.:yikes:

I would surmise that you would need to have your engine alternator or the like, to keep up with the Amp Draw.

Nice feature tho.
Jim...

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Its a great feature on a large sailboat. We have on on our Beneteau 423.... we try not to use it as we don't want to forget how to actually maneuver the boat, however when the need calls when pulling in or out of a slip or dock it is a great thing. For a large cruising boat I would definitely have one!

Greg

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I agree with Greg. It's something we rarely use and it's easy to become dependent on it which isn't a good idea when it eventually fails. If it wasn't already on the boat, I would not have added it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I would be more concerned about the age and condition of the navigation instruments on those boats than whether they have a bow-thruster. Budget $7-10K for a bow thruster and compare that to what you could get in a state-of-the-art chartplotter, wind instrument, auto pilot and AIS. Contact some sailing schools and find one that teaches docking and maneuvering. Those are typically not skills that translate from small boats to big boats. It helps to get some training from a pro.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
OK I've never had a boat with one. But I had a 36' Hunter and can tell you the bow of these boats has a lot of freeboard and windage. There is almost nothing under water to resist lateral movement. If you're not performance orientated I would want one. This I"m saying as one who rushes up on deck when I hear a bow thruster because I know there's a bad boat handler approaching.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The added help of a bow (and also a stern) thruster is a great help in maneuvering any flybridge cruiser. Modern 'sailboats' designed to display a lot of canvas to augment their already-immense freeboard have the same problems.
As others point out, you can learn to deal with the combo of windage and single screw engine systems, but it does take a lot of practice... and sometimes even a little luck. :)

One other facet is you have GOT to remember that having a thruster just allows you to go out of control in higher pressure cross winds! And then more severely damage other vessels and your own.
i.e. it helps to recall the Clint Eastwood dialog about knowing your 'limitations'....
:(

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We use ours less each year getting more skilled at coming in hot then get reverse going for prop walk to pull in the stern. The only issue is the newer props reduce the amount of prop walk or at least our Max-Prop does. I wouldn't pay extra for it if you're talking 5K.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
https://www.amazon.com/Maneuver-Dock-Sailboat-Under-Power/dp/1944824065

Get this book, read it cover to cover. Practice all the exercises in it. You may find that a thruster isn't for you. This book helped me a great deal getting confident with our boat.

You'll like find that you'd rather spend on new sails, better anchor, GPS etc before the bow thruster. You need to add both an additional battery and additional charging source to make this system work.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I chartered last summer a Hanse 495 which I had to get out of, and into, its slip at Granville Island, Vancouver, BC. VERY tight in there. Also, going in and out of a slip at Coal Harbour in Vancouver. The marina fairways in Vancouver/BC are not "generous." Thus, when you're backing or going forward into a slip in an area with little room to turn the boat using the screw/rudder only, a thruster is a welcomed addition.

It's also useful when positioning for the anchor drop and you wish to go slow (read: a lot of rocks and other boats around) but the bow begins to fall off b/f you're ready. And, as probably no one would like to admit having much experience with, it might help you some day get off a sand bar, mud mound, or other shoal. However, I doubt that I would ever pay to install one on a boat of much less length than the 495.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Its a great feature on a large sailboat. We have on on our Beneteau 423.... we try not to use it as we don't want to forget how to actually maneuver the boat, however when the need calls when pulling in or out of a slip or dock it is a great thing. For a large cruising boat I would definitely have one!

Greg
Yes, to some of us this is a "girly-mon" device like an automatic tranny on a 911..........

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
On a boat the size you are looking at a bow thruster is a good component to have, especially if you single hand. I also agree you may do better to find a boat with one installed rather then retrofit one. I helped install one in a commercial fishing boat years ago and man what a pain! It was complication after complication before we finally had it nicely installed. The point I'm trying to make is already installed and working is much preferred...
YMMV

dj

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Jack, I've been solo sailing our P42 since we purchased her in 2002, covering thousands of PNW miles. She can be a challenge at times, especially when I try a maneuver she disagrees with. Over the years I've learned those she likes and will use them when necessary, which work quite well. No need for a bow thruster here, but some want it for their boat. Some want an anchor wash down system for their boat, too, but a two gallon plastic bucket with a lanyard works just fine here. :biggrin:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I think it's usefulness would depend on not only your ability, but the behavior of the boat in reverse. We had a Sabre 42 -- hull #4 for about 11 years starting in 1988. Never had a bow thruster, didn't seem to need it. Our J/Boat steers very well in reverse, but there are a few time when the wind or current seems to take the bow 'away' if you don't drive the boat in, in reverse.

Many people that have them expect them to really MOVE THE BOW instead of just "trimming it". Electric bow thrusters can't run very continuously (batteries and overheating are an issue on electric ones).