Boat Tag

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Hey Everyone,

Good afternoon! I wanted to share with everyone the incredible amount of fun I had yesterday down at Sea Star Base Galveston with some friends! I've raced with them all, and they're all such talented sailors; thus, when you take the ten of us and stick us on Sonars for a day, you KNOW stuff is gonna go down. So, we came up with a new game that I doubt anyone has ever played before; it's called Boat Tag. Essentially, the rules are that each boat is given a volleyball/dodgeball/tennis ball before departing from the dock. Once you're underway and have completed three laps of the triangular course set up on the water, the goal is to throw the balls at the other boats without colliding! A hit with a larger ball is three points, while a hit with a smaller ball is one point. If you collide with another boat, you lose the game automatically, and you can no longer be appointed captain of the vessel. I must warn you, reader, that if you aren't an experienced sailor, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, or with random people on the water...one of my friends did and ran his Ranger 23 straight into a Beneteau 50 trying to play Boat Tag with them...was not pretty. I can't wait to try it on Sunfish! Who else has played this game?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
We used to play it on bicycles, but without the balls. The object was to actually run into the other bike, like an auto demolition derby, with one caveat. To score a point, your front tire had to make contact with the other bike's rear wheel behind the rear sprocket. Anything farther forward was no good. So basically, we were practicing near misses that didn't miss.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Did this with water balloons. Lots of Fun and agree to be careful. We rounded up into a Catalina 30 with minimal damage. The C30was skippered by a infamous ambulance chaser attorney.the next day at the start his crew was wearing neck braces as a joke.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I was at a Hobie Cat regatta in Racine Wisconsin (Lake Michigan) back in the 80's and it was cancelled on the first day due to fog. For fun, they set up a game that involved trying to find a watermelon floating in the lake. I think if there was any wind, there could have been carnage!