Boat Skanks

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Just a little bit of elbow grease and this baby will be as good as new! :yikes:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
No crime... just a ruined old boat. Not all sailboats will last forever. Hell, they will all end like that. Maybe not under your ownership, but maybe the next guys.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Look at all the scrap metal potential!

And the eBay resell potential.

Unfortunately it lies too far away from Syracuse. :(

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think it is funny that they showed a picture of the inside

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I think it is funny that they showed a picture of the inside
The boat is 2 or more owners removed from having a value of, FREE.

Stripped of it's parts, open to the weather, fiberglass has no raw material salvage value as a junk car may have. The owner should be looking for bids to dispose of the fiberglass hulk.

The sailboat is long gone, but the hulk will last forever.

It's ironic to me that the only boats that can last forever, are wooden. Like George Washington's Axe, 2 new heads, 3 new handles, they will go on indefinitely.

It's the design that endures in some of these wooden boats and outlives the materials. And if a wooden boat doesn't endure, it slowly disappears in your backyard and becomes compost, not a Craig's List ad.

Rozinante beam_.jpg

Jan 30, 2012
Catalina 36 Bayfield, WI
What are the odds that boat was in decent shape when it was placed there, owner offered it up for sale, but asking price was way too high. So it sits.. and sits... and sits. Owner refuses to budge on price. Now years later they can’t even give it away. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
What are the odds that boat was in decent shape when it was placed there, owner offered it up for sale, but asking price was way too high. So it sits.. and sits... and sits. Owner refuses to budge on price. Now years later they can’t even give it away. Has this ever happened to anyone?
In every boat yard and back corner lot, in every city with some water access. We used to drive around and look for sailboats “in the weeds” after figuring cost etc I would ask the owner if they would part with it. 99% they would never accept my offer, I did not low ball. They always came back with pricing as if the boat was ready to sail at the marina.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That probably has happened countless times, but I still think this boat is at least one owner beyond a sailor, maybe 2 or more.

What I read in the ad: :)

"Free(4). Lots of stainless steel rigging(1). Complete sail boat(2). Been 13 yrs since used(3)."

1) 'Lots of stainless steel rigging'. Meaning; I've got piles of wirey stuff, and no idea what it is? How hard is it to know if the boat has it's rigging?
2)Complete sailboat... Not(as evidence pics).
3)'Been 13 yrs since used'. Said as if this is a good thing? :)
4)No sailor would take that for free, he's no sailor and doesn't know that,...yet.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Couldn’t FRP be ground up to reuse as epoxy filler? It could be used to make G10 board (geez, I love that stuff!). Would the gelcote screw that up?
I am imagining a monster chipper/shredder arriving at a boatyard, an excavator type arm stripping off the metal on deck, ripping off the keel... dropping the hull into a series of rotating crushers, each one crushing finer than the next and then into a chipper to basically chip it down to bits. Return to the plant, separate out the metal, plastic, and wood, and recycle it all. The FRP could be refined to powder for using in reinforcing fiberglass layups.
Someone please get right on this!