Boat Insurance for the Caribbean

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
I'm located in Aruba and am looking for an alternative insurance to cover our sailboat. I currently insure with a company in Europe who as of 2019 have stopped the coverage of names storms in the Caribbean in it's entirety due to the losses and claims of the last 2 storms we experienced.

Anyone have any options which I can pursue?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I can't see why you would have any problems getting insurance, if your boat is staying in Aruba, as I do not believe there has ever been a named storm do any severe damage there.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Markel, Chubb, Panameras and Lloyds for a start although I'm sure others write policies for the Caribbean. Prices vary widely. Some have geographical limitations during hurricane season.

Although rare, hurricanes have affected Aruba, the most recent being about 10 years ago.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Call Gowrie. I always talk to Sarah Davidson @ 860.399.3627. You can email her at
sarahd@gowrie.com she rocks. They are a broker and will shop you for the best price/coverage. I have used them for years and have never had a problem even though I have had named storm damage, "Sandy", I was covered and came out whole.

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
update on the matter. got a better quote out of europe, all insurance companies and underwriters in Europe or US are not covering named storms for new or renewal policies after last years storms in the world.