Blue Seas buss bars

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
RC

Not very impressed with the design of Blue Seas Buss Bar and the MRBF fuse holders.

The MRBF fuse holders have oversized holes to mount to the buss bar. If you don't get the holes lined up a certain way, you cannot snap on the buss bar cover. So you have to wedge a screw driver in there to force align the holder while tightening the nut. When tightening the nut on the MRBF holder to the buss bar, the holder twists and there is no easy way to keep the holder aligned square to the buss bar. If it's not square, the cover won't snap on. The buss bar cover is very difficult to snap on even when the holders are aligned properly, after a half hour, I got 3 of the 4 clips secure. The red caps that cover the MRBF stud don't stay on very well either.

Overall, a LOT more wrestling than should be necessary. There should be just a 1/16" more room for the cover to snap on and not fight the red covers. there should be small ridges on the buss bar to stop the MRBF holders from twisting. the MRBF holder should be a 1/16" further away from the buss bar to make snapping the cover on much easier. And those red caps need to stay on better.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
The MRBF design is really for installation direct to a battery stud - quick, reliable, reasonable price.
The protective cap grabs the threads of the fuse stud and if the threads do not extend beyond the nut very far the cap won't grab.

You can maybe substitute a PVC protective cap like those from Dorman or Sea Dog (available right here http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?13824.) For a buss bar where more than one fuse is intended to be directly connected it is less annoying if you use ANL fuse holders ganged together with a simple bar. Photo and design by MaineSail.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
RC

Not very impressed with the design of Blue Seas Buss Bar and the MRBF fuse holders.

The MRBF fuse holders have oversized holes to mount to the buss bar. If you don't get the holes lined up a certain way, you cannot snap on the buss bar cover. So you have to wedge a screw driver in there to force align the holder while tightening the nut. When tightening the nut on the MRBF holder to the buss bar, the holder twists and there is no easy way to keep the holder aligned square to the buss bar. If it's not square, the cover won't snap on. The buss bar cover is very difficult to snap on even when the holders are aligned properly, after a half hour, I got 3 of the 4 clips secure. The red caps that cover the MRBF stud don't stay on very well either.

Overall, a LOT more wrestling than should be necessary. There should be just a 1/16" more room for the cover to snap on and not fight the red covers. there should be small ridges on the buss bar to stop the MRBF holders from twisting. the MRBF holder should be a 1/16" further away from the buss bar to make snapping the cover on much easier. And those red caps need to stay on better.
The MRBF fuses were never designed to fit busbars they were designed to fit 3/8" battery studs.. Mounting them to a busbar is a field adaption many installers have chosen, for obvious reasons, and one Blue Sea supports. I almost always mount the MRBF's to the busbar before I install the busbar. I keep them square / straight by placing an adjustable wrench on the flat sides of the fuse holder while tightening. I often don't use the MRBF "hats" I use a battery post cap that offers better coverage. To keep them on better place a wire tie around them...