blowing out ballast

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
Im trying to gear up on doing this and I bought an Intex Quick Fill pump. I cannot find any PSI info on it and I've read That I shouldn't go over 2psi. I'm afraid of using this pump and damaging the ballast tank if it produces too much PSI. Does anybody use one of there or have any info on them?
Thanks
Greg

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
If water is allowed to exit the tank through the valve at the bottom of the boat, I dont think you can even build up 2 psi. Its only if you have the pump pushing air into the tank AND you accidentally left the valve tightly closed where you can build up pressure.

And.. looks to me that the pump you picked is a typical low pressure high volume 12 volt pump used for pumping up air mattresses etc. Cant say for sure but I would think you would be just fine and if you make sure the water fill valve is always open when you have pump on, I would think little risk of a problem.

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
Thanks Walt! Those were my thoughts also but being the rookie I am I wanted confirmation..... Physics happens no matter who is at the helm....lol

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I would agree with Walt's conclusion. I doubt that the pump you selected could generate 2 psi even with the valve closed. You should have no problems with it.