Block Island or Martha's Vineyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 352 NYC
Thinking about heading to Block Island in August. It's rather a long sail from NYC so my thought is to move the boat out to Port Jefferson or somewhere on the southern coast of Conn on an inexpensive mooring. Any suggestions?

B

Bob

block

Block Island is about 15 miles off the coast. We have found that if you stay in Stonington, Ct overnight and leave the next morning it is only about 3-4 hours and you can get there in the early afternoon. From Port Jefferson it is a long haul to get there in one day. Besides, you can always count on the wind being on your bow.

Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
Block Info

Rob - I've been to Block a number of times and its a great place. Long haul from NYC though through the LI Sound but that is your best route. Check out my blog (link is below) for details on getting to BI and what to do there. I gave out the advice so many times I started keeping track of that and other places on a blog I started up for cruising reccos (some content is user-generated). I also have Martha's Vinyard covered too on my blog (thats about a 1-day sail from Block). Port Jeff has a small harbor you could pull into - I kept my boat there for a few days when I bought it and was bringing her to her home port in Mattituck. After Port Jeff you have Mattituck Inlet and then Fisher's Island. I heard good things about Fishers but have not been there yet. You could also check out Greenport but that is around and then west of Orient Point (its in my blog as well). There are a few cool places in and around greenport such as Shelter Island, Sag Harbor and Three Mile Harbor. They did just put in a town transient dock facility complete with bathrooms and showers. The town also is a great place for dining and relaxing. Shelter Island has a few moorings you could pick up. If your looking to break up the trip - Greenport may be a good stop-over. Let me know if you want any other advice....you can email me off my blog. Rob

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
"Move the boat out?"

Rob, I'm not sure what you mean by "move the boat out." Do you mean you can't make the NYC to Block trip during your vacation period, and are thinking about pre-staging the boat closer to Block, and driving to it at the start of the vacation cruise? Two years ago I sailed down the Sound from Westport, MA, to Block, then Stonnington, Mystic, Old Lyme, Milford, and Larchmont; then headed home via Port Jeff, Mattituck, Block then Westport. The homeward legs were solid day sails. Port Jeff is O.K., but not particularly hospitable to sailboats and dinghies; though we did anchor (for free) on the left side as you enter the harbor. Stay clear of the big mooring ball which is used to park coal skows, sometimes two in tandem, as coal is delivered to the powerplant there. The North Shore of L.I. is pretty desolate. For places to visit and eat, etc., stick to the Connecticut coast. Milford was great, as there is a fun outdoor bar within walking distance. We rented a slip in Milford. If you're staging the boat, I wouldn't go too far up the Sound, as you could miss some nice sports. Note that when the Sound is ebbing you get a significant boost. I made the 50 or so miles from Mattituck to Block with just 35 miles measured under the boat on the knot log. The current at the Race peaked at about 6 knots that day, and I hit it just right. Be prepared for fog, and for wind. In August we sailed in heavy fog many days, and enjoyed SW winds at 25 to 30 on that Matt. to Block leg.

Jun 4, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 352 NYC
JVISS

Yes I am planning on "staging" the boat to give us more time on Block and to deal with weather. Which means I will need a marina to leave the boat from 8/19 - 8/25. Hopefully, I can get a mooring ball which will dramatically reduce the cost of the trip. I would rather spent $$ on food and drink than a slip.

Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
Mattituck

Rob - there are few marinas in the Mattituck Inlet off the sound. One is called the "Mattituck Fishing Station" - small familiy run marina that might let you keep the boat there. Google it. Other than that there are some larger marinas that would cost you....no moorings. also, try Matt-a-Marr marina. You can walk into Mattituck town and catch the LIRR back to NYC from there. They have a website you could find if you google them. Mattituck might be your best stop-over as you could make Block in day from there. Rob

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
BI tips

The best way to do Block is to get a slip for your arrival date. You won't get a town mooring if you arrive after noon most of the time. In the next AM watch for leaving boats and try to get a mooring which are about $35/day. We like Payne's dock. Very nice people. Please do exactly as they say while docking. It will work out. You can't go all the way with the tide but a good rule in LI Sound is to sail with the tide. Try to time your stop to take advantage of tide. As a former Mattituck resident I encourge you to stop there. Its great. It's not well known but you can anchor there. Check your charts. You can dink to town which is a short walk. Also, Waldbaums mall is walkable with dry cleaners, liquor store, ice cream etc. In town there is North Fork Bank with a bank yank, deli, cheese shop, hardware, post office, pharmacy, etc. Now I live in Greenport and its a great stop but you'll lose at least an hour each way on your way to BI. An alternative to stopping is get hire a crew to to take take the boat 24 hour operation to BI. Then start your cruise. If you need professional help, I can refer you to some licensed captains who can handle this.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Anchor

You might consider anchoring. I know it sounds risky, but many people leave boats on the hook during the week. I'd only do it if a local could keep an eye on it for me. Old Lyme has rental moorings, cheap. Could make Block in a day from there, only with a fair tide. There's a big, protected anchorage in Stonington. I also anchor in Block. There are many horror stories, but if you know what you're doing and carry the right ground tackle, it's fine. It's fairly shallow, which is an advantage. It's a sandy bottom, but even though the Danforth is designed for sand, I throw my 35' Bruce (clone) with my all-chain rode and I've never dragged, even in a blow that peaked at 50 kt. The slips in Block are fine, but not my style - packed tight, loud, not private at all. To each his own.

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina - Myrtle Beach
Spicers in Noank

Rob, You might want to try Spicers or one of the other Noank marinas for a mooring for your staging point. It's an easy 1 day sail to Block from there. Like others have said its best if you can time your travel with the ebbing tide through Watch Hill. Enjoy Block whatever you do.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
No one has mentoned Mt. Sinai

harbor which is right next to Port Jeff, is smaller and wont have the ferry traffic that Port Jeff does. If you are lucky you can get a transient mooring for around $35/night instead of the much higher slip rate. It would be a pretty long haul from either of these harbors to Block in one day. You might consider staying at Port Jeff one night and going out to Gardener's Bay the next day where you can stay in a number of places mentioned already. From 3 Mile Harbor it is probably about 30 miles to Block which, under ideal conditions would make a nice day sail. Otherwise, consider the southern Connecticut shoreline which has many more harbors then parts of northern LI (between Mt. Sinai and Mattituck is a pretty long stretch). Speaking of Mattituck, I stayed there overnight on my boat while delivering her from 3 Mile Harbor to the western Sound. We got in late after all the marinas had closed so we stayed at the Town dock at the head of the harbor for free. It wasn't particularly quiet but the price was right and it was safe and we could walk easily into the quaint old village. At some of the bigger marinas if you arrive at sundown after all the staff have gone home you can also tie up for free in an empty slip provided you get back underway by 6 AM before the staff has their morning coffee. I have done this at Liberty Landing Marina in NY Harbor. Smaller marinas may have someone living there full time who would notice your coming and going. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.