Blackened displays

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
I have 2 Raymarine displays that the factory will not work on. Both displays the screens have turned black but are still functioning (I can see a few digits). I have been told that the problem is the polarizing film and that it can be replaced. Has anyone attempted this repair and what type of polarizing material did you use.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Slipin Away, I had the same condition several years ago. It occurred in a reasonably short time and covered the middle of the screen. (At first I thought I was having a problem with my eyes!) My choice was to replace the unit. I have not had much success "fixing" electronics on the boat. I did keep the unit and will be interested in any repair information others might offer so some use could be made of it. Best Wishes.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
turned black but are still functioning
My new a98 did the same thing. I have Lighthouse II chart plotter software. RM sold that service to an oversea outfit that requires a annual fee. It fades to BLACK when you don't subscribe.

Just a guess....
Jim...

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
not a subscription issue since I have 2 other displays that work just fine that are below decks

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
There are smart phone repair companies that replace/repair screens that might be of help.
I don't know who specifically, as I've never had a smart phone!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA