Black or White Gauges ?

RAD88

Dec 15, 2008
Hunter 30 Glen Cove, NY
Well I am finally getting around to installing a dash in my sailboat cockpit for my little Yanmar engine . So tired of the idiot lights !
So - is there any advantage to black or white gauges in an open cockpit or is it just personal preference?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I would probably use white but put in red back lighting. Most boats I've seen are black with white lights.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
There is little or no sun glare from black gauge faces (assuming matte black finish), so they are probably easier to read during the day in an open cockpit.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
My boat and sails are WHITE, the water is SPARKLY/GLAREY, my eyes are SENSITIVE. Therefore, I wear the dark sunglasses. There's no way I can predict how well I'll be able to see something on the boat, so my preference is to make a decision by taking the thing outside, then looking at it through my sunglasses. Don't forget to consider the angle that your gages will be relative to your eyes and whether they will be in sunlight or shaded by a dodger or bimini.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
How many? Mix and match? Who says they all have to be the same? :):):) Your boat, your choice. :)