Big Time PROP WAlk TO PORT

May 9, 2012
Catalina 30 mkIII North Star Sail Club
1995 Catalina 30 MkIII with Universal diesel - standard 3 blade prop (13x10) from factory, but it won't back up to starboard at all, only to port, terrific prop walk to port. Anyone else note this characteristic. My only slight remedy is to pull dock lines over to starboard as we release her, hit reverse with low rpm's, start her back, and go into neutral as she gets some sternway, turning rudder to starboard. Boat still doesn't really want to go that way.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
This is very normal for a sailboat. Really any fixed single engine with decent thrust. Learn to use the prop walk to help you. To counter act build up speed, then go to neutral

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Yup. Perfectly normal for a C-30 (and many other sailboats). Spring lines are an easy way to deal with it if you're having trouble getting out of the slip straight - I actually use a very long spring to turn the stern to starboard once out of the slip. Your technique of popping into neutral is also a very common way. I don't use low RPMs there tho, I hammer it for a second or so then coast.

Once you get some way on, it will steer in reverse pretty well. But you need to be moving faster than most folks want to back out of a slip.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If it really bothers you, you can spend a couple thousand on a feathering prop. From what I've read some work better than others

Les

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Prop walk has some uses; it will allow you to turn the boat around on its own length when in tight quarters, it will also allow to mimic having a bow thruster. Had seen a fellow a few times push his boat back from the slip into the fairway and as the boat gained speed he would climb aboard turn the tiller and engage forward and away he went; I had figured his reverse gear was busted but later on learned that this was his way of combating prop walk. He had the maneuver down pat and performed it effortlessly with plenty of time to recover from a misstep.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
What everybody says above is true. I use it to my advantage all the time. Sometimes, leaving the slip, use a good burst of power and back off. I usually have a slight crosswind and I'm in a single slip. Use a boat hook to push stern off as required..

Apr 18, 2012
Catalina 400 MKI 67 LaSalle,Mi
I bought a 3 blade folder last winter and almost all the prop walk is gone. sometimes its a pain to maneuver without it.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I have a starboard tie slip and a strong prop walk pulls me into my slip mate. I have learned to loop my stern line around the end cleat on the dock and to hold the stern in as I give her a shot of reverse. While she is gliding back in neutral I pull in that stern line and steer her safely out with momentum giving her a small touch of reverse to help her glide as needed. Works great for me!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Using spring lines to turn the boat is an acceptable method. No sense standing behind the wheel when the rudder has no bite.