Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Now I've got your attention -:)

I'd be interested to know how many of you have fitted Folding Props

What make do you have ?
Are you happy with It ?
Are there many problems ?
Do they vibrate more than a fixed prop ?

Our boat only comes out of the water every 12 months or so and water temperature averages around 20 deg C or
70F For the folks in USA
I'm concerned marine growth will foul the mechanism and stop it functioning, if my fixed prop gets growth on it I just go slower but I still go !

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I had a Martec 2 blade folding prop on a Catalina 27 (southern Chesapeake bay with temps in the 40s in winter to high 70s in summer). Never had a vibration problem. Even after leaving boat all winter without washing it would open and move (albeit slowly). If you wash monthly you should not have any noticable problems. I could not shift quickly from forward to reverse and expect the prop to open every time - but this was not a problem because I always began by making way in reverse going into a slip or fairway, then shifting into forward to would stop it every time. If it gets fouled you may have to shift back to neutral briefly then back into gear, but eventually the blades open but with degraded performance. I would not hesitate to purchase one for my Catalina 310 if I had the spare $$$ and no other items on the list.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Wow, I didn't even know that Catalina exported sailboats as far away as Sydney.
If you research through Practical Sailor, an American publication, they have done many tests of folding props. (Perhaps you have its equivelant in Aussie). You will gain about a half a knot during sail with less drag, but will loose some performance under power, especially in reverse with any folding prop.
They are expensive, require more maintenance & therefore most sailors stick with two blade sailor props for this very reason. A two blade fixed is a good trade off between less drag & performance under power. But there are many folding prop manufactures who will be glad to take your money, be it in dollars or pounds. Cheers.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Now I've got your attention -:)
I feel cheated...I want to register a complaint...:cussing:

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Crrrrrraaaaaaap! I googled "big boobs" and all I got was this stupid sailboat site.

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Just as I suspected!
Sailors are more interested in Boobs than folding props...:D

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.