Best PHRF racer around 23'?

Oct 2, 2018
Precision 23 Minneapolis
My family joined a very active club on Lake Minnetonka in Minneapolis that requires racing. I have a Precision 23 in PHRF 2 and tired of boats running away from me on the upwind. I want to upgrade to a faster boat that points better but not sure which one. Can't do J22, J24, S2 7.9, Capri 25 or Sonar because they are one design fleets and we're nowhere ready to fly spinnaker.

Looking for:
- points well
- can be raced with 2 people, possibly single-handed
- room in the cabin for a porta potty with reasonable privacy
- decent cockpit so we can entertain when not racing
- ideally trailerable but not necessary as club has a crane
- lake has a lot of millfoil so unsure about a winged keel but I know how to back a boat and do Crazy Ivzn turns to clear if there's a winner with a wing keel
- Ideally want to spend $6k or less so I can get sails and replace worn gear

Would appreciate your recommendations.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
melges 24

Did you even read what his requirements were?

I would suggest a 235 as well but, you already knew that. ;) Also tough to get for $6K.

Maybe get someone to sail with you and see if there is anything that can be done before committing to a new boat.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny

I would suggest a 235 as well but, you already knew that. ;) Also tough to get for $6K.

Maybe get someone to sail with you and see if there is anything that can be done before committing to a new boat.
Like a good marriage, every boat is a compromise.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hey! The PHRF 2 fleet is fairly balanced on the whole. While lighter racier boats often sail to their rating better, I’d pick a boat that the family likes. Another Precision 23 has recently done pretty well in PHRF 2. Also a faster rating is no guarantee of doing better; either on the water or corrected. As a rule I’d say that with few exceptions the boats pretty much finish in the corrected order of the skipper/crews talent. As you might know, I sailed with Donovan a few Sundays ago and finished 2nd, and we could have won. So in most cases its not the boat. Wanna try anyway? Look at a Merit 25 or a Capri 22.

PS - there is nothing that says you cannot sail one of the one design fleet boats in PHRF. It is happened in the past, and I’m pretty sure it will happen again. Of all of them, the most family friendly would for sure be the S2 7.9.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Race the Precision 23 and then move up to one design. If you like racing, one design is the way to go if you live somewhere where there is a good fleet.

Nov 8, 2010
@The Rabbit has been doing great in our club with an upgraded Hunter 240, racking up another win in our last coastal race.
I love that boat. Mad Science!

I'm sure its a great reaching boat. But most of the races at WYC are W/L, where a lot of the mods would be less beneficial. And we would probably penalize the sail area adds more than I remember them getting dinged. That being said, there is similar (but non-turbo) Catalina 250 in PHRF 2 that does pretty OK. Like I said, its usually about the crew and not the boat.

Oct 2, 2018
Precision 23 Minneapolis

:) I would love a J70 but they're a little pricey. I have a list of gear to add to my P23 that totals about $3k-$4k (additional tracks, cars and winches for the Genoa, a traveler, etc.) that makes me think it's better money spent on a faster boat that can point. There was another P23 owner who just sold his because he had all the gear, and experience, and skill. and was only finishing middle of the pack.

Nov 8, 2010
:) I would love a J70 but they're a little pricey.
The J/70 meets exactly one of your requirements! Its spring-loaded for fun but in no way a boat you can cruise or entertain on. The first step is to have a realistic set of needs and expectations.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
of all of them, the most family friendly would for sure be the S2 7.9.
And a benefit is it races great... I race against one at my club and have crewed on it elsewhere in a small craft advisory... BeatBmost of them on elapsed time when they all owed us much... that boats a rocket ship.. almost 26ft though

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
seidleman_w_trailer_johnson_15_22139910.jpg
Real Sleeper of a boat. Seidelman 25. You can pick one up cheap. Rocketship in light air beating faster rated boats like the Capri 22 boat for boat. Odd duck of a design but lots of sail area with little wetted surface. Boat at our club is perennial winner. cost is $500-$4,000 depending on condition. Goes like hell if boat is sailed flat.

Nov 8, 2010
One more thing to keep in mind. A 'faster' boat usually means a higher SA/D value... good for overall speed but more tender and challenging to work for a shorthanded or family crew. There is a reason that most 'cruisers' have an SA/D of less then 20.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
If you are determined to change to a faster design, maybe a good performance cruiser would do the job. Look for a Niagara 26. We cruised and (for two full-on seasons ) raced ours. Sailed it for a decade. Cruising interior and a good performance cockpit and sail plan. 8 kts off the wind with a genoa. Balanced transom rudder.
Wonderful boat for a couple to cruise and about 3 people to race. Large fractional rig.
Happy hunting.
:)

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
You can really kick it with a J/92. Great for entertaining a large group of midgets. Photo is the last race of the season. World's largest number of coasters in the background. First to finish and corrected first in 6-8knot W/L. Costs
J92rollercoaster.jpg
less than a J70!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I know that view of Cedar Point well. The Lake goes up the Lake goes down but I think I remember hitting bottom off the roller coasters many years ago.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
The cynic suggests that you buy the same boat as the PHRF committee members have. If you want to go fast, buy a fast boat and forget about the rating, if you want to win PHRF well now you have to get clever. Buy the boat that won last year and then when you don't win, the problem will be clear.