Best Paint Thinner to Allow Paint to Flow Better/Eliminate Brush Strokes

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
I posted previously about thinning Rustoleum oil/alkyd paint. I'm experimenting on my transom first before I paint my whole boat and used gasoline successfully however I'm still interested in other options. Interested in anyone's experience with paint thinners and those you believe are the best product. Any recommendations appreciated.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Why not spray it?
I tried recently to thin paint on a home project. I tried Floetrol and paint thinner. I just got finer brush strokes. It could just be the alkyd paint I used this time.

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
No need to thin at all, and the type of brush used is irrelevant.

Once the paint has fully cured, all marks are removed with wet/dry sanding, finishing with polishing compounds.

This will leave you with a perfectly flat surface.

Typically, you’d spray, and then apply the techniques I’ve listed.

Much faster that way.

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Appreciate the info but marine paints in general w/o additives dry way too fast to wipe them out (go over again to ensure not runs and even application), like one can with a latex in a home, I also used polishes and waxes on a painted hull and they tend to dull the paint over the season taking away the shine.

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
Yes, that’s normally what you encounter in most finishing applications and a fast cure is your friend (lowers the risk of debris settling on the finish).

Gelcoat is kicking when it’s still in the spray gun reservoir.

It doesn’t matter what it looks like going on, as any defects/blemishes/brush marks can be sanded out with 600-800-1000-2000 wet/dry.

You can’t stop a finish from oxidizing, and waxing doesn’t impart anything but temporary shine.

Brushed gelcoat will have greater durability and longevity.

Just a thought.