Registered users don't see ads

Beneteau First 42 cored hull?

Discussion in 'Ask A Beneteau Owner' started by CrazyLegs, Aug 8, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. CrazyLegs

CrazyLegs

Joined Sep 13, 2011
    15 posts, 0 likes
    beneteau first 42
    ca Pt Roberts
    Well, just had an insurance survey done and the surveyor is insisting that my 1984 Beneteau First 42 has a cored hull. Now I don’t think so, I have had every through hull replaced, some of which were not original to the boat, and can find no evidence of coring material. His response to this is that ‘Most’ boats of this vintage are cored and that the raised area in the hull above the waterline is proof of this. He says Beneteau placed solid glass in the location of the thru-hulls but this doesn’t explain the thru-hulls which were added at a later date through solid glass. He is adamant on this cored hull idea and I am equally convinced it is a solid fiberglass hull (with a cored deck). Any thoughts out there on this? Anyone have any documentation that describes the hull lay-up. Thanks!

2. danstanford

danstanford

Joined Aug 2, 2010
    236 posts, 34 likes
    Beneteau 323
    CA Cobourg
    I thought topsides and decks were cored but solid glass below the water line.

3. CrazyLegs

CrazyLegs

Joined Sep 13, 2011
    15 posts, 0 likes
    beneteau first 42
    ca Pt Roberts
    Interesting. Never have heard that about top sides on the First 42. All my reading about the French built Beneteau’s from that era seem to indicate they stayed away from any coring of the hull. I’ll keep looking for info.

4. Mechone

Mechone

Joined Mar 20, 2016
    70 posts, 16 likes
    Beneteau 351
    ca WYC Whitby
    351 hull is solid glass,including topside ,deck is cored, cabin top is glass

5. JohnShannon

JohnShannon

Joined Jan 4, 2010
    674 posts, 63 likes
    Farr 30
    US San Francisco
    Beneteau in that era, solid hull cored deck. I suppose you could take a plug with a hole saw in some innocuous place (above the water line) to resolve the dispute.

6. CYQK

CYQK

Joined Sep 11, 2009
    323 posts, 12 likes
    beneteau first 42
    US kenora
    Crazy legs
    Trust me on this one
    Have the exact same boat
    Have stripped EVERYTHING down on the boat to the nuts inside and out
    Cored deck solid hull all up to the rails
    Time for a new survey!!

7. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    5,164 posts, 1,000 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    What he is seeing is the glassed-in rib that Beneteau placed on the interior top-side to strengthen the hull just below the hull/deck joint. It is pretty clearly a 6-8” rib.

CrazyLegs likes this.
  8. CrazyLegs

CrazyLegs

Joined Sep 13, 2011
    15 posts, 0 likes
    beneteau first 42
    ca Pt Roberts
    Thank you all for the replies. Exactly as I felt I knew but an adamant Surveyor can be daunting. I don't want to get into it with this guy but I will definitely have a frank discussion with my Insurer. Thanks so much! And by the way, I LOVE THIS BOAT.

9. Toujours405

Toujours405

Joined May 25, 2018
    1 posts, 0 likes
    Beneteau First 405
    Toujours US Deale, MD
    Agree totally - solid hull, cored deck. I love my '87 First 405!

10. SVTurtledance

SVTurtledance

Joined Oct 17, 2011
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Beneteau First 42
    US Shelburne Bay
    I am a Master Marine Surveyor, (MMS#30117W), I worked with Beneteau in 84,85 and 86 and I own a 1985 B first 42. All the comments are in line that the hull and deck are sold glass. there are a few pieces of wood glassed in for backing on things like the winch pedestals, tracks and fair leads. French bottom = solid glass in that time frame. It would be in you right to have the surveyor back up his claim, how did he conclude that there was any coring material in your boat? he might know something we all don't? Please contact me with any other questions

Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.