Beneteau First 42 cored hull?

Sep 13, 2011
beneteau first 42 Mayne Island, BC
Well, just had an insurance survey done and the surveyor is insisting that my 1984 Beneteau First 42 has a cored hull. Now I don’t think so, I have had every through hull replaced, some of which were not original to the boat, and can find no evidence of coring material. His response to this is that ‘Most’ boats of this vintage are cored and that the raised area in the hull above the waterline is proof of this. He says Beneteau placed solid glass in the location of the thru-hulls but this doesn’t explain the thru-hulls which were added at a later date through solid glass. He is adamant on this cored hull idea and I am equally convinced it is a solid fiberglass hull (with a cored deck). Any thoughts out there on this? Anyone have any documentation that describes the hull lay-up. Thanks!

Sep 13, 2011
Interesting. Never have heard that about top sides on the First 42. All my reading about the French built Beneteau’s from that era seem to indicate they stayed away from any coring of the hull. I’ll keep looking for info.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
351 hull is solid glass,including topside ,deck is cored, cabin top is glass

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Beneteau in that era, solid hull cored deck. I suppose you could take a plug with a hole saw in some innocuous place (above the water line) to resolve the dispute.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Crazy legs
Trust me on this one
Have the exact same boat
Have stripped EVERYTHING down on the boat to the nuts inside and out
Cored deck solid hull all up to the rails
Time for a new survey!!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
His response to this is that ‘Most’ boats of this vintage are cored and that the raised area in the hull above the waterline is proof of this.
What he is seeing is the glassed-in rib that Beneteau placed on the interior top-side to strengthen the hull just below the hull/deck joint. It is pretty clearly a 6-8” rib.

Sep 13, 2011
Thank you all for the replies. Exactly as I felt I knew but an adamant Surveyor can be daunting. I don't want to get into it with this guy but I will definitely have a frank discussion with my Insurer. Thanks so much! And by the way, I LOVE THIS BOAT.

Oct 17, 2011
Beneteau First 42 Shelburne Bay
I am a Master Marine Surveyor, (MMS#30117W), I worked with Beneteau in 84,85 and 86 and I own a 1985 B first 42. All the comments are in line that the hull and deck are sold glass. there are a few pieces of wood glassed in for backing on things like the winch pedestals, tracks and fair leads. French bottom = solid glass in that time frame. It would be in you right to have the surveyor back up his claim, how did he conclude that there was any coring material in your boat? he might know something we all don't? Please contact me with any other questions

Sep 13, 2011
I am a Master Marine Surveyor, (MMS#30117W), I worked with Beneteau in 84,85 and 86 and I own a 1985 B first 42. All the comments are in line that the hull and deck are sold glass. there are a few pieces of wood glassed in for backing on things like the winch pedestals, tracks and fair leads. French bottom = solid glass in that time frame. It would be in you right to have the surveyor back up his claim, how did he conclude that there was any coring material in your boat? he might know something we all don't? Please contact me with any other questions
Thank you so much for this. I tried talking with him about this and he is maintaining his position (but could find no moisture in this CORE he believes to be present). I was happy with the rest of the survey, he acknowledged that the boat is in great shape and well maintained, which it is! That said I believe his bias (he didn't seem to understand the difference between French built and SC built Beneteau's of this era) also led him to undervalue our boat but again I will discuss this with our insurer. It is a small community of Surveyors up here so I am not sure how much I want to grind him on this point. Still I am feeling frustrated and if I can find the right words will perhaps try yet again to get him to accept his mistake and correct the survey document before I go to my Insurer. So pleased to hear from you, it is validation for sure.
Thanks again!
Lee-Ann

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
It doesn't matter if French or US built Beneteaus do not have cored hulls