Beneteau First 20 on order Request advice - outboard size and shaft lenght

Nov 19, 2016
Sabre Mark III Raritan Bay, NJ
I do not know transom measurements for First 20.
Will I want a fixed engine mount where engine can slide up and down but not swivel?
Or, should I clamp engine to transom?
Is a 9.9 hp Mercury too large? Is an 8 hp better?
Shaft length? Long or X Long?
What are advantages / disadvantages re tiller vs. remote?
I will be sailing in Raritan Bay, up Hudson thru NY harbor to as far as Lake
Champlain. I may also cruise just off shore to Barnegat Bay.
My gut tells me 9.9 is better for thrust in brisk weather.
I appreciate your kind expressions. Thanks, Dusty

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Every one I have seen (4?) has had a long shaft 6hp.

In most ranges thats the biggest HP before the CCs (and weight) bump up. Plenty of power in any case. The motor is very close to centerline so using the boat's tiller to steer under power works well.

IGGALN

Oct 27, 2016
Beneteau 45 New Buffalo
I would use a torqueedo. They are large enough for that boat and no smelly gas tanks.

Nov 19, 2016
Sabre Mark III Raritan Bay, NJ
I thought hard about Torqeedo option but what I was able to garner from owner comments was there are problems with breaking parts, difficulty obtaining repairs (send back to factory), some poor customer service if there are issues, etc. Main reason I've elected outboard is not to have range / rpm restrictions. Thanks for suggestion.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I would think 6 hp would be plenty. I had a 7.5 Honda on a Spirit 23 (heavier and more windage than First 20) for several years; it worked fine on Pontchartrain and the Gulf Coast..

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Just get past that idea that you are will go off in "brisk weather" and have a favorable experience motoring a sailboat that has a kicker bolted to the transom. Half the time it will be pushing air. Not saying you can't do that kind of thing but your outboard is not what will get you there. Your sailing will get you there.