Battery Watering Systems

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Hi Rich, I get what you are saying. Here are my answers. First, Thermoil would be an additional cost, and additional manufacturing process step. For dry-shipped batteries, it is an additional component and step for the distributor or end-user to complete. And though this sounds cynical, if it does extend the life of batteries, and users don't expect this, why kill the goose that lays the golden eggs?
I don't think there's any risk to adding the oil. Apparently, people have used mineral oil for this purpose before Thermoil, with no damage. And, the oil will probably save your batteries if you neglect watering for a long time.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Anyone using Hydrocaps?
http://hydrocapcorp.com/
This is the first I've heard of Hydrocaps. Compared to Thermoil, at least they have the science more or less correct.

It is my belief that the statements about hydrogen explosions is a bit over stated. A well ventilated battery box and a good multi-stage temperature compensated charger should be the first line of defense against hydrogen gas explosions. Hydrogen is the lightest element and will freely move about in the atmosphere and rise, not settle. Inside a sealed battery box, it would not take much to reach the LEL of 4%, but getting to that level in a boat in a large enough quantity and then detonating, is a bit of a stretch. The charger would have to be way out of control pumping way too much current into the batteries in a very short period of time.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It is my belief that the statements about hydrogen explosions is a bit over stated. A well ventilated battery box and a good multi-stage temperature compensated charger should be the first line of defense against hydrogen gas explosions. Hydrogen is the lightest element and will freely move about in the atmosphere and rise, not settle. Inside a sealed battery box, it would not take much to reach the LEL of 4%, but getting to that level in a boat in a large enough quantity and then detonating, is a bit of a stretch. The charger would have to be way out of control pumping way too much current into the batteries in a very short period of time.
I haven’t read those statements but a battery exploded at our club this year while underway.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I haven’t read those statements but a battery exploded at our club this year while underway.
I'm not saying that batteries don't have issues and can cause havoc when they don't behave well. I'm just saying that if the battery is maintained properly, the battery box is properly ventilated, and the battery is properly charged the probability of a battery exploding is very low.

Unlike frogs, we humans have a difficult time understanding probability. We tend to worry more about low probability events, like batteries blowing up than higher probability events, like getting hit by a drunk driver.

Sometimes it might be good to be a frog. :cool:

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... Sometimes it might be good to be a frog. :cool:
Not if you're a frog in the road, where ANY driver can get you- drunk OR sober! I am sure there are other such places, but I like the highway signs that tell you there is a frog crossing ahead.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm not saying that batteries don't have issues and can cause havoc when they don't behave well. I'm just saying that if the battery is maintained properly, the battery box is properly ventilated, and the battery is properly charged the probability of a battery exploding is very low.

Unlike frogs, we humans have a difficult time understanding probability. We tend to worry more about low probability events, like batteries blowing up than higher probability events, like getting hit by a drunk driver.

Sometimes it might be good to be a frog. :cool:
Ohhhhhh... You meant not properly maintained! The owner discovered the battery was bone dry when it exploded. Seriously.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Circling back on this to add information:

Makes sense, Kermit, but in the T3800 the batteries are in a really inconvenient spot, which is why I'm interested in a remote watering system.

I confess I'm still ignorant about the correct level, and when to water. My batts have a "cuff" or something that has slits in the sides. Should one fill 'til the water is to the bottom of the cuff? Or part way up the slit? Different when charged or discharged?
Don't add water until the battery is fully charged! The level will come up with charging. The only exception to this is if the plates are exposed to air. If they are, add just enough distilled water to cover the plates, then charge.

Once fully charged, consult the manufacturer's information for proper level. For Trojan, there are two types of vent wells. That's the cuff, or collar, that extends from the top cover into the cell. The standard one is just straight and has a slit in it. Fill to 1/8" below the bottom of the well. You can use a piece of rubber hose as a dipstick, which helps me. For Trojan Plus Series there's a maximum water level indicator in the vent well. Fill to here.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
BTW, I used Water miser caps for years and felt that they did a good job.
A second vote for Water Miser caps - used them for 6-1/2 years on two US battery Group 31's used in my house bank. I have a Group 24 without the Water Miser Caps for the starting bank with an ACR tending to it. I'm at a slip, so the charger and refrig is on a lot all summer. I do have ok access to my house batteries but only need to add water maybe once a year with the Water Miser Caps. The only disadvantage it they do add some height, but less than a golf battery. I am very happy with them since they took a lot of the worry away of maintaining the proper water levels. I would recommend them fully.