Battery Test Switch

May 9, 2013
Catalina 310 Oyster Bay, NY
When checking the battery levels toggle switch on the main panel, what position should the main battery selector switch be turned to, OFF, 1, 2 or BOTH?
Thanks, Concerto in Sea #189

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So if it is like mine (a picture of yours would help)... I have to turn the switch to the battery I wish to check in order for the reading to tell me anything.
  1. So Off and toggle the switch = Nothing.. It is off.
  2. #1 toggle the switch should tell you the voltage of the #1 battery. (Your going to have to trace the wires to know which is battery #1 and which is battery #2 If you have more than 2 batteries you have more tracing to do.
  3. #2 toggle the switch and you get the voltage from battery #2.
  4. Both You get combined voltage from the two batteries. Not much info there as one of the batteries might be a bit week and it will drag the other down. Pretty useless test.
Best is to get a real battery monitor. Might gain additional knowledge checking out this like to MaineSail’s website. https://marinehowto.com/installing-a-battery-monitor/

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The stock voltmeter only displays whatever is selected. Where should the switch be?? That depends on which set your interested in 1 or 2. Off and both don’t make a lot of sense.

Les

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
When checking the battery levels toggle switch on the main panel, what position should the main battery selector switch be turned to, OFF, 1, 2 or BOTH?
Thanks, Concerto in Sea #189
On our 310 battery switch position did not matter as the stock voltmeter (not very accurate BTW) was wired quasi-direct to the batteries by picking up the large gauge cables at the #1 and #2 posts on the back of the battery switch. In other words, it should work with the battery switch in the OFF position.