Battery Hold-Down Material

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Sorry jviss. Not trying to harass you, just answering your question "What material should be used, and where can I get it?". Hunter isn't the gold standard but MainSail is highly respected here and he appears to use wood. Wood is very common and appears to work. Could your batteries be boiling over ?

I do not use bare wood for flooded batteries. Flooded batteries reside in an acid resistant box with no metal screws-in the bottom. AGM & some GEL batteries, classified as "non-spillable" are a different ball of wax because they can't spill or leak acid.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Pretty sure GPO is what I saw on my buddy's Nonsuch. It was across the tops of the batts, edgewise, like 1x2" stock, the ends drilled vertically for through-bolts with wing nuts securing them. My boat already has molded bases secured to the hull to locate and support the batts.

Feb 6, 1998
Thanks MS. They key here is containment. Acid batteries should be in poly boxes.
All lead acid batteries, AGM, TPPL AGM, GEL and Flooded are "acid batteries". Any battery that can spill or is not DOT/CFR or UN2800 classed as non-spillable needs acid containment eg; flooded lead acid batteries need acid containment...

Feb 6, 1998
Pretty sure GPO is what I saw on my buddy's Nonsuch. It was across the tops of the batts, edgewise, like 1x2" stock, the ends drilled vertically for through-bolts with wing nuts securing them. My boat already has molded bases secured to the hull to locate and support the batts.
GPO-3 or G-10 are both pultruded FRP sheet products. I know you are careful with money so be prepared on PRICE! the NRS straps are a lot less expensive and I've been using them in excess of 20+ years. Just keep the buckle sprayed with Boeshield etc. and they are pretty bullet proof. Don't be fooled by less expensive nylon straps...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We expect to see pics when you are done! Maybe even before/after :thumbup:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I do not use bare wood for flooded batteries. Flooded batteries reside in an acid resistant box with no metal screws-in the bottom. AGM & some GEL batteries, classified as "non-spillable" are a different ball of wax because they can't spill or leak acid.
GPO-3 or G-10 are both pultruded FRP sheet products. I know you are careful with money so be prepared on PRICE! the NRS straps are a lot less expensive and I've been using them in excess of 20+ years. Just keep the buckle sprayed with Boeshield etc. and they are pretty bullet proof. Don't be fooled by less expensive nylon straps...
Are you saying I'm cheap? :) Yea, I guess I am - no, really, just frugal. I will check out the surplus materials guys in Worcester, MA. I may just try the NRS straps, I think there are already attachment points for straps. I'll check how secure they look.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Jviss,

I know you are looking for some sort of alternative to wood strips for securing your batteries, but what about painted or expoxied wood? I would think that would prevent (or at least slow down) any vapor infiltration.

Just a thought. I am frugal too

Greg

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Is it possible to ask a simple question around here and not be harassed and trolled about it? Holy cow. If you're happy with soft wood hold-downs for your batteries, then good for you! If you think what Hunter does on boats is the gold standard of boatbuilding materials and practice, even better!
Maybe if you read my post a little more carefully you'd see that I was answering your exact question and gave you another option. You just chose to focus on the other option. Respect is earned.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My 4-6volt house batteries are in 2 plastic battery boxes with tops and sit in a wood framing
and not going any place with strapping over the top and my start battery in another location
also in plastic battery box with wood strips along floor to keep from moving and strapping over the top to SS mounts and all batteries are wet cell and been like that since 2008 in Fl.
Looking all like new when often checking battery fluid.
Nick

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
My personal standard requires any lead acid battery to be in a box because there is no such thing as can never spill/ooze or otherwise emit contents. Also it covers naked terminals.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My 2007 H-36 had 2 -4 D's in fiberglass box all secured to fiberglass flooring that way from factory,I did change thinks
when those very heavy 4-D's went bad changed to the 4-6 volt and a start battery all wet cell's.
Nick

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Maybe if you read my post a little more carefully you'd see that I was answering your exact question and gave you another option. You just chose to focus on the other option. Respect is earned.
Maybe if you read that reply more carefully you would have seen that I wasn't replying to you!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Who
Just adding advice like most do to what has worked very well and have learn so much over years on this forum.
Nick

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have used HDPE for small projects. Comes in various thickness. Bought it at a local plastics company. They usually have scraps. It might work also.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The issue with plastic hold down is the strength of the material. You will need a thick product to provide strength. The plastic strength over length depends on the chemical molecular bond. To much force and the bond fails the plastic cracks/shatters. Wood has been used in the past (though a bad product for acid exposure) is made up of long fibers. It fails splinters along the linear fibers.
My observations favor MS's suggestion, A strap. A plastic product that uses multiple linear strands, layered and woven to give it strength. Appears to take the best of both materials being considered and combines them in a light weight easy to manage structure.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I think my experience just Friday may be of a little help with the hold-down bracket? After three weeks on the seashore, I drove home and unloaded the car along the curb. Car would not start- all but dead battery. HUH? The battery had a crystal buildup equally from each filler cap to the metal hold-down bar between them. Water in battery sufficient- no plates exposed. Used a key to push away the crystals. Got a jump start okay. Backed into the parking spot, and it restarted like always. Got water and washed off the top of the battery. Started okay the next morning for errands. Car/battery are 6.5 years old, so maybe a new battery would be a good idea. I'll add distilled water. I've never seen those crystals in my life, but wonder if dew or whatever from 3 weeks at the shore may have left some kind of deposit between fillers to bracket being grounded might have caused this? Point is, after reading this thread, I think I'll change out the metal hold-down bar or put some rubber tube around it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I wonder if that plastic liquid dip would work to cover and protect the metal bar