Registered users don't see ads

Barlow winch designations/model numbers

Discussion in 'Cal' started by Robert Weiss-Malik, Nov 11, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Robert Weiss-Malik

Robert Weiss-Malik

Joined Nov 11, 2017
    2 posts, 0 likes
    Cal Small Change 24 T/4
    Fin Keel Standard Rig US Canyon Lake, Arizona Canyon Lake
    My Cal 24 T/4 has a pair of Barlow winches that are stamped with the number "18" designation. These may be approaching their useful lifespan (they are 44 years old after all), and I am looking for replacements on ebay. I have not been able to find "18" models. Instead there are plenty of used ones with model numbers other than "18".
    Does anyone know what the model number designations actually mean and can you offer advice as to what other number designation my be suitable for replacing the "18"s? Also anyone have success finding replacement parts for re-building Barlow's?
    Thanks

2. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,367 posts, 658 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA

3. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,113 posts, 215 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    The follow-on company to Barlow (and Barient) is Hutton Winches, LLC in Australia. They still support both lines, with parts, diagrams, etc.

The phone number is +61 2 9623 2448. You can also email a really helpful guy named Alan (sales@huttonwinches.com). They have technical drawings of most of the winches the two companies made. Check them out, they were very helpful to me when I needed parts and advice. If you call rather than email, remember to account for the time difference between you and the east coast of Oz.

4. Robert Weiss-Malik

Robert Weiss-Malik

Joined Nov 11, 2017
    2 posts, 0 likes
    Cal Small Change 24 T/4
    Fin Keel Standard Rig US Canyon Lake, Arizona Canyon Lake
    Good info, thanks to all that responded

5. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,141 posts, 183 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    I have two #18 2speed standard Barlows.... used them for halyard winches... gear ratio is 1:1 and 3:1 ..... I replaced them with #15 Lewmar ST single speed gear ration is 2:1 ..... Anyway... they're both in excellent condition... might consider selling the pair.

Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.