Bahamas to West Indies

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Cobb

I have seen occasional references to the "Thorny Path", which is a cruising route from the Bahamas to the West Indies, such as the Virgin Islands, St. Maartin, etc. What is the Thorny Path, and why is it called that? Perhaps the more important question is, what is the best route to the Virgin Islands from the Bahamas?

J

Jim Ewing

Thorny Path source

I heard that the origin was due to the fact that it's all upwind and if you sail you have to tack repeatedly thereby tracing the "thorns". Could just be an urban legend though. The thorny path runs down the Bahamas to Turks and Caicos, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. It's primary attraction is that there is (I think) only one overnight passage required. Last year in the Bahamas there was a boat on the net looking for partners to go to 62W and turn south. Haven't done either (yet) so can't comment on which would be better. Jim

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Check Out Google

If you want to read a lot about sailing down the Thorny Path just enter "Thorny Path sailing" in Google and you'll get lots of hits that'll keep you going for hours. Didn't find one that said why it's named that (it's no doubt due to the windward bash) but there's lots of interesting sailing stories. Check out this link on inspecting your rigging, "Careful survey can avoid big rigging problem at sea" By Capt. NEIL K. HAYNES: http://www.boatsurveyor.com/rigging.htm Looks like “The Gentleman’s Guide to Passages South” may be a good reference, quote: The intent of this guide is to make the “thorny path” from Florida to Trinidad a smoother one. The “Gentleman” in the guide’s title is a sly reference to the old maxim that “gentlemen don’t sail to weather” and unfortunately in the passage from Florida to at least St. Martin there is a lot of sailing to weather. Van Sant can’t alter this fact but he gives a lot of advise on how to make an easier passage. Link: http://www.sailingbreezes.com/Sailing_Breezes_Current/Articles/June01/gentleman.htm It sounds like this would be an interesting trip.

P

Phillip

Thorny Path

The mentioned book "Passages South" is a must if you are planing this trip. I too am planning on this trip to the west Indies. I plan on going this comeing fall and I have found this book invaluable in it's information. Unless your a big fan of open water this is definatly the route to take. The book can be found at west marine. Good luck on your trip.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Passages South avail in Chandlery

Since Phillip said this is a good book I'll bet our web host would like it mentioned that it's available on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.