Bad weekend for Sails.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I may try to do that myself. Since they are older I was thinking of using boded polyester thread instead of Tenara/PTFE thread. There is a huge price difference. Any thoughts?

Bonded Polyester Sewing Thread 16oz. (#138 16oz. - White)

What weight thread would you use for sail and/or UV cover?
FYI, Tenara and PTFE threads should never be used for any "structural" seams in a sail. The thread is too slippery and can come unstitched when under constant load like on a sail seam. You can use it to attach non-structural elements like the UV cover.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Just like to add to the comments, you mention that Murphy arrived, sails like anything else need some attention occasionally, I take mine to a loft once a year to have them looked at and repair any loose stitching, they will last much longer that way and won't provide me with any surprises at sea, at least that is the idea. Not maintaining your sails is kinda like never changing the oil in your vehicle eventually the engine will give up its life, unfortunately sooner than later.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I take mine to a loft once a year to have them looked at and repair any loose stitching, they will last much longer that way and won't provide me with any surprises at sea, at least that is the idea. Not maintaining your sails is kinda like never changing the oil in your vehicle eventually the engine will give up its life, unfortunately sooner than later.
How much does that cost as a yearly expense? I may want to add that to my budget.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I want to give a huge shout-out and MANY THANKS to @HMT2 for giving me a great deal on his used mainsail for the H31. According to tracking info I should have it Friday and may even make it to this Sunday's race. It's on its way!!!! YEAH!!!
543357941.jpg
I also managed to track down the gentleman who redid the canvas on my bimini, and he says no problem repairing my UV sun cover on the jib. Good news all around. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Dave is right, I told my wife I didn't want to burden her with problematic sails so I WENT OUT AND ORDERED NEW ONES. Just thinking of her.:liar:

All U Get

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
FYI, Tenara and PTFE threads should never be used for any "structural" seams in a sail. The thread is too slippery and can come unstitched when under constant load like on a sail seam. You can use it to attach non-structural elements like the UV cover.
I respectfully differ with that statement. It's simply not true.

PTFE thread ((Tenara or SolarFix or Helios) is indeed slippery, but it doesn't come unstitched under load if the sewing machine has been properly set up to use it. Some sailmakers don't like to use it because it's expensive and you have to set your machine up differently to get nice even stitching, but it will last longer than the sail cloth itself.

Tenara thread has been used for many years for seams in expensive sails that are expected to last for the whole 30,000-50,000 miles of a circumnavigation. I know for sure that at least two major manufacturers, Ullman and Hyde, use tenara for all seams in their most durable sails. Other major production lofts probably use PTFE thread as well, but I can quickly find any online verification.

Judy B

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Good to know. I got that info from Sailrite when I bought my PTFE thread. I have restitched my genoa once because I found a few punky stiches. It would be nice to not need to worry about rotten thread in my sails.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
How much does that cost as a yearly expense? I may want to add that to my budget.
Last year $250, the year before our first year with Sapphire it was $400 as the Genny needed the uv cover changed, the PO neglected to maintain the sails.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Last year $250, the year before our first year with Sapphire it was $400 as the Genny needed the uv cover changed, the PO neglected to maintain the sails.
Do they clean them while they are at it, or just inspect and restitch?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I did not request cleaning ergo inspect and restich, I believe we are going with full replacement this year, if the stars align that is.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I believe we are going with full replacement this year,
I got brand new sails this year! Something to remember, you may need to do a little work to your mainsail cover when getting a new main. My new main fits in the previous mainsail cover like a massively over stuffed burrito!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I got brand new sails this year! Something to remember, you may need to do a little work to your mainsail cover when getting a new main. My new main fits in the previous mainsail cover like a massively over stuffed burrito!
Not a problem we have in mast furling, but thanks for the heads up.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I want to give a big Shout-out to @HMT2 . He sent me his old mainsail a few weeks ago, and I was finally able to try it out on our club's races yesterday.
2018-04-29 20.47.42.jpg 2018-04-30 08.23.50.jpg
We got our first first place with it. Already it is affecting my phrf rating. first place moved us from a rating of 204 to 201 LOL
We were second crossing at 10 seconds behind a boat with a 188 rating.
2018-04-29 19.11.43.jpg

Again I want to thank @HMT2 so so much for his old main sail. It made all the difference.:clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we have a top of the line Morse "really good vintage pre-1960's home machine with metal cams and metal gears..." i tried to sew a winter cover for our 30 ' sailboat on it. however, the most the home machine would do was 4 layers of sun brella or 2 layers of top gun winter cover material. .it certainly would not do "...4-6 layers of dacron and 2-4 layers of sunbrella. " the feed dogs on the home machine aren't built to feed heavy material well. so the spouse had to hand - pull the cloth as i fed it into the needle plate. and even with 2 people, then the thread kept jamming and the needles kept breaking. a home machine motor cannot drive the needle thru the layers judy b opines it will. i ended up buying a sail rite machine which was a great investment. the machine cost $500, fabric and supplies were another $350. the cover lasted from 1994 and was still in great shape when we sold the boat with it in 2006. the quote from the local sail yard was $2000 for them to make the cover -- with a 4 month lead time.
'
the hand awl is your other option, and it will make you feel like an 18th century salon, which sometimes is a good thing.