B361 manhole in diesel tank

May 8, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Oslo, Norway
Hi! Has anyone installed a manhole in their diesel tank with any luck?

Thanks! :)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
How big is your fuel tank?
Just kidding, My fuel tank has a round fitting on top that contains the fuel gauge sender, gasketed and secured with about six small bolts. That provides an access port that is about four inches (10 cm) in diameter. The tank itself is plastic, and with the sealant, it does not want to come apart easily.
I have not installed any other access to the tank, but as long as you have a relatively flat surface, it would be possible to provide a bigger opening. In my opinion though, that would just make another potential leak if it could not be properly sealed.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Here’s the one I have. Do you have a bigger one?
That is the port that I referred to, although if memory serves me, the cover on my fuel tank was slightly larger in diameter.

There appears to be a bolt missing on the cover in your photo.

Dec 4, 2018
Balboa 27 Denver
What is the purpose of this manhole? In that kind of tank it is pretty difficult to install a hole and cover and keep it sealed. Removing the existing fitting should allow you to access the tank and do whatever you need to. A small diesel 12vilt pump and a copper 1/4 inch line should allow you to pump the bottom of the tank and see if it is contaminated with water, etc. I have such a pump, plumbed with a old Racor that I can use for fuel polishing or emptying the tank or whatever. Just an idea.

May 8, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Oslo, Norway
The idea was to be able to inspect and clean the tank in order to avoid more serious problem down the line. I’m a bit surprised there is not a hole in this tank, most tanks I’ve come across have this. But I’ll give it a shot with a pump. Thanks!