Autoprop B.B. rebuild

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
im rebuilding an Autoprop I picked up for a good price. I was going to grind a socket to use as the pin wrench when torquing the thing back together. When rummaging around the drawer for an appropriate socket I ran into the Pin cube used to screw in the caliper on some disk breaks. One of the arrangements fit perfect. A bit of simple math to adjust the torque for the 1/2” offset. I’m good to go. These cubes can be had for 1/3 price of the tool from Autoprop.

Les

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have an autoprop I purchased new. I'm happy with the performance especially when motor sailing, it really shines. I would send it back for the rebuild. Liability and all considered.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
The rebuild is simple and as long as you follow the directions, very straightforward. We love ours!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The rebuild is simple and as long as you follow the directions, very straightforward. We love ours!
I agree. The hardest part is holding it still whil getting all the balls in place. Hardest part comming apart is that darn lower outer race ( or is that the inner upper race)

Les

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I had a bearing fail and couldn't get the blade off - called AB marine and they said whale at it with a mallet until it came off - and it worked. I dealt with the balls by greasing them lightly to hold them in the track...