Autopilot Lever Pops Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2009
2 309 Key West
I have a Catalina 309 with a factory installed autopilot.

My problem is that the lever that engages my Raytheon autopilot with the steering wheel won't stay in place.

It doesn't help to adjust the autopilot belt tension by loosening the allen head screw and clicking the square adjuster knob one click at a time either tighter or looser).

When I turn the adjuster knob tighter, so the lever engages the belt onto the wheel well, and the lever stays in place, but the autopilot motor drags (it remains still slightly engaged) even when the lever is disengaged. This is no good

When I turn the adjuster knob looser, so that the lever engages the belt onto the wheel well and the steering wheel turns freely when the autopilot lever is disengaged. Then the lever pops loose in the first minute that the autopilot steering. This is also no good

A bit of background: I had this problem ever since I purchased the vessel in 2009. A year ago replaced the belt with a genuine Raytheon spare part (the old belt had frayed cords coming off one edge that had tangled in the mechanism). Every thing behind the belt cover looks in good order.

I work around the problem now by slipping a loop of twine over the lever to hold it in the up position.

Any ideas? Anybody have a similar problem with the autopilot lever popping out ?

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Did the same thing with mine except used a very small bungee cord. Worked for 5 years until I got a new below deck autopilot. Go simple it works..

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I have the same autopilot in my Catalina 310, and I feel a definite snap-over-center action when I engage the auto. Perhaps there is something worn or missing in your mechanism?

Repro

Feb 12, 2011
Catalina 309 Brisbane
I had the same problem.
I tightened the pivot screw on the lever, which stopped it dropping and disengaging.
But mine still makes funny noises sometimes, as if it's sliping or something.
I don't think it likes large rudder deflections.
All the best, Ross.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Did the factory install the older Raymarine APs that used an externally mounted motor-belt-pulley system? My Raymarine S1 AP was installed by the local marine electronics dealer when I bought the boat, and has the motor housed in an opening drilled in the pedestal console base that directly engages a geared wheel bolted to the steering wheel - no belt. Is your system external to the pedestal, exposed to weather?

May 1, 2009
2 309 Key West
Did the factory install the older Raymarine APs that used an externally mounted motor-belt-pulley system? My Raymarine S1 AP was installed by the local marine electronics dealer when I bought the boat, and has the motor housed in an opening drilled in the pedestal console base that directly engages a geared wheel bolted to the steering wheel - no belt. Is your system external to the pedestal, exposed to weather?
John

The motor is mounted in the pedestal, and the business end of the motor enters a circular cover which contains a toothed belt and the engagement mechanism. The belt is not visible.

Regards
G

May 1, 2009
2 309 Key West
Update from the original poster...

I have traced the spontaneous popping loose to a loose clutch engagement handle screw..... I tightened it a bit and got a nice "over the top center" locking engagement. Nice.....but wait the intermittent engagement of the autopilot continued to happen..... I traced this to to partially stripped teeth he minuscule plastic gearbox that joins the thumb sized motor to the toothed gear that drives the belt. The gears would randomly engage and disengage ...I have ordered a new gearbox. I think I've got it now.

Fair winds
SmallSloop

Update replaced gearbox. Everything is in order

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.