Aurora Sure-Step

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
Hi,

Has anybody used Aurora Sure-step? I have a 2000 Beneteau 361 with beat up deck. The previous owner didn't seem to do any up keep. The deck is chalky, and is yellowing. This is true for both the non-skid and smooth parts. So I've seen the video's on Sure-step, but don't want to spend $100 on a restoration kit unless I have an idea that it works. My other option is compound it, and then use something like woody wax.

Thanks,

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I have used both Woody Wax, and Sure Step. The Woody Wax seems to last a week or two, then need reapplication. When it says to rinse off, you damn well better rinse well, because I can guarantee it's slippery if you don't! I don't use the WW anymore, because the only rinse water I have is lake water, and it doesn't seem right rinsing off with dirty-ish water.

I went the whole 9 yards with Aurora, including the kit with Boat Clean Plus cleaner, Boat Scrub stuff, and Sure Step. I think any good cleaner would work, and the special Boat Scrub which is supposed to remove oxidation didn't seem to do anything except foam up like a soap. Then I applied the Sure Step. I have a pretty aggressive non-skid pattern made up of little pyramids, and the Sure Step gets down in the valleys. It used a lot of material, and I have a small boat. Then, I couldn't remove the dried product with a rag, because it was down in the valleys of the pyramids. I wound up scrubbing it with a natural bristle scrub brush to try and remove the dried residue. The results were about as shiny as one would expect from un-polished gelcoat, which is to say shinier than ever before, with a noticeable reflectiveness to it vs. before. Water beaded very nicely, and the surface was slippery-ier than before, but not slippery-slippery. The following year I tried to apply the Sure Step with a foam roller, hoping to apply less, and that did work reasonably well, but still a PITA to remove. And the second year didn't seem as nice as the first year.

Some people have suggested that they water down compound, and scrub the non-skid with it and a brush. This would bring up some smoothness. I just gave up, because over the winter (under the cover) my non-skid seems to have deteriorated. So, any kind of compounding looks like it will wear it considerably. I guess I'm just waiting until paint is needed now. Based on the little spots flecked out, and the small hash cracks in the gelcoat, I think that if I had clear running water, Woody Wax would be a decent stop-gap for the next few years until paint is needed.

I guess the long and short of it is I liked the aesthetic results of going crazy and working my butt off for Sure Step, but the convenience of spray on, scrub around a bit, and rinse off every other week is a win for Woody Wax. (Come to think of it, using Woody Wax from the beginning with a brand new boat would probably keep it nicer for a longer time, vs. doing nothing until it's an old, chalky boat.)

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
Is Woody wax just a wax. If you put in on a stained deck, won't you just a stained deck that is shiny?