Attention 34 and 340 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Some of you may havenoticed that the 34 and 340 are now directed to the Big Boats Forum. The placement of the 34 and 340 has been confusing in the past, but 34's have more posts in Mid-Size than Big, historically speaking. Anyone care to comment on this? Where do you think it really belongs? Do the 34 and 340 have more in common with the 420, or the 27? Might as well get this figured out once and for all! ph.

W

Wayne Estabrooks

Same forum 34 & 340

Since I have a 340, I would suggest you put the 34 and 340 both in the Big Boats forum. I thought the 340 was a big boat until I recently chartered a 410 for a week. When I went back to the 340 and took it out in the big water, it seemed smaller than it did before my week on the 410. Phil, whatever you decide will be fine with me. I sincerely enjoy HOW!

C

Clyde Lichtenwalner

Big

I agree with Wayne. It seems that 34 feet is a logical transition point from medium to large in the Hunter line. Since both are really longer than 34 feet, they should probably be considered together among the larger boats.

G

Strictly Ego - Make it the Big Boats <grin>

Is there anything else to say <grin>

T

Tom Ressler s/v Blowdacious

Boat Size

Since the 340 and 336 share the same hull and most everything else, why would one be one place and the other in another forum? I would say they both belong in one or the other. It is not an ego thing, just a matter of convenience.

E

Eric Jones

Even bigger

Moved up from a 27 to H34 some years ago. I think there is definitely more commonality between a 34 and a 40 than there is between a 27 and 34.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Ah ha!

Maybe the real problem here is that the 27 belongs in the small boat forum and the 28-36 all belong together. Just a new way to look at the problem?

A

Alex

No change ..please

From the reality point of view , the average boat size in GRP production sailboat market -as far as I can notice-tend to the the bigger . Re Hunter , building now bigger boats-and for same market- and other manufacturers doing the same (Jeaneau , Beneteau, Bavaria, Moody , etc.) If you look at various international regattas for CRUISERS (not proffesionals on sponsored events) ,the average size ( and it's a statistical fact)get bigger almost by the year. And most of all , us regular boaters or our friends at the marina,own and sail now ( or will in near future) same -or mostly bigger- boats than 5-8 years ago. So on same reason , 34/340/336 should remain in same category, and if this trend persist , in future maybe the 37/378/380 will be in middle size as well..as the new Hunter520(?!) ,or so.., will top the 'big boats' , but the smallest size will be the same.. I know , we all( incl Hunter..) find our Hunters great -and big- but we should be aware of the surrounding boating arena .

S

Steve O.

leave it

The 34 and the 340 are more closely related to the 33.5 and the 336. So leave them where they belong, with the mid-size boats, unless you are concerned with refridgeration and power windlasses and in-mast reefing.

G

Geoff McLaughlin

Outnumbered

I have to admit from the moment I found this web site, a little part of me was sore that the 34 wasn't a 'big' boat in these forums- but I'm over it. I really don't think it matters, just so long as we know where to look for our common discussions. This really is a bridge size boat, and could go either way - I now say leave it mid size, so I can take added pleasure in moving up a class when I buy my next Hunter.

D

David Lampton

An original

The Hunter 34 is, in my opinion, the quintessential sailboat. Therefore we should have our own category.

Status
Not open for further replies.