Attaching the boom to the mast.

Nov 5, 2012
Hunter 23 Apollo Beach. FL
Hi,
My name is Loyal Ritter, I have a 1986 23' Hunter. I am in Apollo Beach, FL. I would like to look at a similar boat nearby or have a picture sent to me of how the boom is connected to the mast so that I can see what connects the two.
I am missing a piece or two. I have the Goose neck connected to the boom and a bracket connected to the mast, but clearly needs something else to connect the two.

Thank you for any help that you may be able to provide to me.
Loyal Ritter
LoyalLRitter@gmail.com

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Talk about a poorly-written and almost worthless owners manual. It reminds you to lock your car before heading out to sea after making the mast-stepping process sound simple but nowhere does it even mention attaching the boom.

Post pictures of what you have and I’m pretty sure someone can answer your question. I had one but don’t recall what the parts were. Maybe @isaksp00 and @Crazy Dave Condon can help more. In the meantime here’s the link to the manual. Good luck!

https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_23_83230972.pdf

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The boom was built by Kenyon Isomat which later became Charleston Spar and now Sparcraft. Parts are supplied by Rig Rite and if you will search, you should find a photo of the attachment for it.
Mike, thank you for the photo. However there was a different attachment style for the hooks which I am not sure what you have, this style or the older style.
@Sea Horse Take a photo or two what you have then we can go from there helping you.
Crazy Dave Condon

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Yes, a photo would help. My H23 ('91 hull) has a different gooseneck than the photo above. I am 3 hrs away and it has a cover on, so it'd be difficult to take a photo. On mine, the fore end of the boom has a cast aluminum fitting which has a horizontal hole, and the mast gooseneck has a fitting that is also cast and has a "slot" that the "male" part of the boom fitting goes into, with matching horizontal holes. There should be a pin of some sort that holds the two fittings together. On mine it is a stout aluminum tube with outer diameter to fit the holes in the fittings. The tube is about 1/2 inch longer on both ends than the distance between the outer walls of the "female" fitting on the mast, and is drilled diametrically on each end for a decent size cotter pin. You remove one cotter pin to install or uninstall that pin/tube. Perhaps you are missing that.
I suppose any sort of clevis pin that is long enough, the right diameter, and has a head that blocks it from sliding through would work. Measure the diameter of the fitting holes and maybe a hardware store has stout walled aluminum tubing you can use, that you could just cut to length and then drill for the cotter pins. You could even use galvanized in a pinch, but I'd get rid of it soon so you don't get rust stains.
UPDATE: I found a photo that looks like mine. If you have this, see if the "pin" is missing; it has a split ring on one ned in this example.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2012
Hunter 23 Apollo Beach. FL
Mike, That is exactly what I have. Now it all comes together for me. Thank you for the picture.

Mike48

Mar 15, 2006
Hunter 23 Lake St Marys
Dave,

Can you explain the 3 pin locations. I have no idea why there are 3 locations.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Here is my guess (note: guess). It looks like the clevis pin is to attach the main's tack. I assume there are three to accommodate different sail configurations. For example, the one closer to the mast may be for a sail that has a bolt rope in the track, where the further (aft) one might be for one with slugs that stand the sail out further from the mast. Maybe the up/down choice is for sails with longer or shorter luffs. Crazy dave is the expert though.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Be more specific as I am a little puzzled about the three pin location unless you are talking about the hooks? Send me a private email via forum with phone and I will call. Need to identify what you are talking about quickly

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Dave,

Can you explain the 3 pin locations. I have no idea why there are 3 locations.
My guess as well is that it allows you to handle different sail tack alignments to get the best alignment for a particular main sail.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Those two extra holes are there to give us something to talk about.