Are you sailing?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Hi all. I get to miss lots of sailing. I broke my shaft strut and haven't been able to fix it yet. the Admiral had a knee replaced and I'm caregiving now. I hope to be able to work on the boat soon, but it requires letting her heal a bit first. She's coming along fine. So now while I wait at the house it would be great to at least read some sailing stories. Oh, and pictures are always great.

Ken

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hope you get back on the water soon!

Our Fall regatta was last weekend . Saturday was perfect conditions, solid 12-18 knots with bigger puffs under amazingly blue skies. Two races back to back, 5 legs W/L each. The upwinds were hard work. Absolute beasts. The downwinds better but not much chance to catch a breath. The puffs always came in as big lefties, meaning you had to be on your toes at ALL times. Any wonder why blue is my favorite color??

run.jpg

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
Went out yesterday outta South Haven, Mi. It was the windiest day that I have been out. We were cruising pretty good for awhile, but it makes my wife super nervous when the boat is heeled way up. She thinks we are going to flip. I tried to tell her....aint gonna happen. Any way after a couple hours, we turned around and started heading back, or so we thought. Just couldnt beat the wind back. Ended up, bringing everything down and motoring back. Still learning how to sail!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Sadly no. I've only been able to even get aboard the boat twice since last Feb due to the back surgery (which is healing fine) but I've also been unable to do any of the needed repair work on the boat from hurricane Harvey damage over a year ago. But I'm ALMOST there :)

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Any way after a couple hours, we turned around and started heading back, or so we thought. Just couldnt beat the wind back. Ended up, bringing everything down and motoring back. Still learning how to sail!
I get it, I'm also still learning how to sail after many years. To go upwind isn't very efficient. Sometimes it just makes sense to motor and that's why we have an engine.
Ken

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Sadly no. I've only been able to even get aboard the boat twice since last Feb due to the back surgery (which is healing fine) but I've also been unable to do any of the needed repair work on the boat from hurricane Harvey damage over a year ago. But I'm ALMOST there :)
Charley! I don't think we've heard from you much lately. I'm glad to hear you are healing.

Ken

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Went out both days. Saturday winds were light so I hanked on the 150 jib, slow going at first but wind increased and shifted from SSE to SSW with some gusts-I was getting 12 with my handheld in the cockpit. I wasn't going to change sails so I rode it out and had a great 4 hours on the water. Yesterday winds were forecasted 12 so I went with the 100 jib, got about 1/3 of the way up the lake (~7 miles) and the wind picked up a little but the water was still flat. On the upwind run back to the harbor the wind had picked up to 15 (on my handheld) boat speed was steady 5.5knots-awesome!

First pic is from Saturday, other two are yesterday.

Attachments

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I've been out of internet touch for at least 6 weeks. A trip to Wisconsin for a friends wedding, then two days after I got home my mother passed. I've been very wrapped up in funeral, estate , etc for last 5 weeks Should be back to normal now- mI hope- I've put 1200 miles on my truck driving back and forth to Houston and Beaumont !!

Thanks for the wishes

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Its a good thing that I don’t keep track of cost per trip. I was only out 5 times!
That was partly due to weather conditions, either no wind or too much; and partly due to lack of crew. The days we did get out were pretty spectacular though.
Its a short season here! The boat was put in the water Memorial Day week, and went into winter storage Labor day week. I know that there is great sailing in October, but the weather in between can be brutal as far as wind and waves
AE72EF6C-D331-42FB-A0DF-5F1560C11CCA.jpeg

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Our opportunities for sailing are becoming rare as the season winds down. My son is on the high school soccer team, which usually takes away our Saturdays, and he's on the the high school trap shooting team (and I'm a coach), which takes away our Sunday mornings. We managed to get out for a beautiful afternoon sail yesterday though, and had a fun time.

Winds were 12 to 15 kts, gusting to 20+ kts at times and because our lake is surrounded by tall bluffs with many coulees funneling the wind, the wind is always changing so you always have to pay attention, particularly as you get closer to land. Wanting a casual sail, we double reefed the main and unfurled the jib to match.

The excitement came when I heard the buzzing of a plane and turned to see it flying in front of us, low above the river...much lower than any other aircraft I've seen over the water. It flew down river, got to the end of the lake, pulled up and banked left. I called for my wife to come up and check it out. It flew back up river, banked left again, and this time few behind us even lower.

I didn't see any pontoons on it, like the smaller float planes we'd use for getting to our fishing camps in Canada, so I wondered if perhaps it was in distress. It kept coming down and sure enough, landed on the lake. I thought about dropping the sails and motoring over to see if we could render assistance, but there were many sailboats closer than I was so I held tight and just watched. It wasn't sinking and there was no smoke, so my concern started easing and were now just curious so we continued to watch. So there was what I thought was a lot of smoke, but it must have been water spray from the prop wash. Soon the plane started moving again and flew back up into the air, banked back around and headed back northwest again, from where it came.

I have no idea what the point of that landing was, but it made for some excitement. It didn't have any markings on it other than the tail number, which I didn't catch. My wife took some video of it as it passed us just before it landed.

That just might be the last sail of the season. We're planning on sailing Sunday again but with a forecast of 40's or 50's and rain, the only place we'll be going is to the pump-out dock to get the tank pumped out before I replace the holding tank in a couple of weeks.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Our opportunities for sailing are becoming rare as the season winds down. My son is on the high school soccer team, which usually takes away our Saturdays, and he's on the the high school trap shooting team (and I'm a coach), which takes away our Sunday mornings. We managed to get out for a beautiful afternoon sail yesterday though, and had a fun time.

Winds were 12 to 15 kts, gusting to 20+ kts at times and because our lake is surrounded by tall bluffs with many coulees funneling the wind, the wind is always changing so you always have to pay attention, particularly as you get closer to land. Wanting a casual sail, we double reefed the main and unfurled the jib to match.

The excitement came when I heard the buzzing of a plane and turned to see it flying in front of us, low above the river...much lower than any other aircraft I've seen over the water. It flew down river, got to the end of the lake, pulled up and banked left. I called for my wife to come up and check it out. It flew back up river, banked left again, and this time few behind us even lower.

I didn't see any pontoons on it, like the smaller float planes we'd use for getting to our fishing camps in Canada, so I wondered if perhaps it was in distress. It kept coming down and sure enough, landed on the lake. I thought about dropping the sails and motoring over to see if we could render assistance, but there were many sailboats closer than I was so I held tight and just watched. It wasn't sinking and there was no smoke, so my concern started easing and were now just curious so we continued to watch. So there was what I thought was a lot of smoke, but it must have been water spray from the prop wash. Soon the plane started moving again and flew back up into the air, banked back around and headed back northwest again, from where it came.

I have no idea what the point of that landing was, but it made for some excitement. It didn't have any markings on it other than the tail number, which I didn't catch. My wife took some video of it as it passed us just before it landed.

That just might be the last sail of the season. We're planning on sailing Sunday again but with a forecast of 40's or 50's and rain, the only place we'll be going is to the pump-out dock to get the tank pumped out before I replace the holding tank in a couple of weeks.
LOL that plane flew over Lake Minnetonka as well. It may have landed there too, but not where we were sailing!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I hope you can get out on the boat soon Ken. I've only sailed my boat a handful of times this summer due to engine problems. All sorted now but a bit frustrating for a while. Here are a couple of very different days. First no wind at all so motoring - feeling good I got the beast running :)

Then an actual sailing day, putting out a little laundry on the way home

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
So now while I wait at the house it would be great to at least read some sailing stories. Oh, and pictures are always great.
Hope your wife mends well and you're back on the water. You may have seen this video before, but if not, enjoy.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Ken, what Yr. is your 30, and if an early one, do you have a new strut?
Hope the healing goes well.
G.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Ken, what Yr. is your 30, and if an early one, do you have a new strut?
Hope the healing goes well.
G.
I ordered and got a new strut from the good folks right here at SBO. The boat is a 1989. Now I just need to get it on the hard and get to work.

Her healing is going well. It just takes some time.

Ken

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Probably no opportunity to hook up before November, but check with me then. I’d love to take you out for a fix.

Les

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Probably no opportunity to hook up before November, but check with me then. I’d love to take you out for a fix.

Les[/QUOT
Thanks Les. I'm hoping to get it on the hard in a week or so. That assumes that I Admiral continues to heal at the same rate. She gets her Staples out tomorrow.

Ken

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Ken,
Hang in there, my wife had a partial knee replacement in May. First three weeks are hell and gets better quickly after.
Physical therapy is important to get mobility back. Guestimate that it was six weeks of taking care of things around the house, going to supermarket, and preparing meals. We ordered food to go quite a bit during the week as I am still working full time. She will likely do the other knee next winter...here we go again!
So, didn't do much sailing this summer because of the wife's recovery in May & June. Been too damned hot in July & August with exception of getting out for a night sail a few times. Removed all canvas & headsail for tropical storm threat on Labor Day weekend, that was a non-event. Re-rigged the following weekend and noted that the luff tape was torn/rotted at the head, so just got the sail repaird & returned. Plan to haul out for bottom paint, compound & wax, and change a few thru hull fittings in two or three weeks, soon as the weather moderates. Hopefully, I can squeeze in a sail or two before going into the yard and be back in the water by the end of October. November & half of December is nice weather in these parts, so hoping to get a couple of overnite trips in then. Seems that I actually sailed more during the six years that I was in a charter club (2006 -2012) vs having another boat of my own during the last six years!