Anyone Tried These Motor Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Thinking I am going to replace my motor mounts. One of the guys in my marina recommended I used the Bushings DF-2205-2. He has an 18HP Universal in his Pearson 30. Says they have been fine. On the Torrenson Marine site they have the Universal 300514 which has been replaced by the Westerbeke 32013 and they list the Bushings DF-2205-2 as an after market. I want to be a little cautious as my sample size saying they are OK is 1 and Mains Sail says he only uses OEM for motor mounts. I also note that Stu linked to the Catalina 36 site that some people had been happy with the Vetus 50 motor mounts, but not everyone was happy. I am inclined to go with the DF-2205-2 as this guy is reliable, but he does have a slightly smaller engine. :confused:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ray, the next step in your search is to determine YOUR engine weight and distribution and see if those mounts can support it. I haven't heard of them. Not only were the Vetus 50s discussed in the C36 forum, but also on our C34 Message Board.

Here's a complaint you should be aware of

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1344.0.html

Look at the dates: 2003 to 2012. Also read the links in the posts.

If you're not planning to completely lift your engine, then you MUST check the hole spacing for the mount's feet and your stringers.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Lateral adjustment scope on the base of the mount needs to be considered as well for alignment.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I would strongly advise sticking with the factory mount that the M25XPB came with. I my experience & opinion they are a far superior mount to the BI product.

I have to replace more BI mounts than any other single mount... They also transmit a lot more vibration to the boat and are very difficult to dial in to a "comfortable" vibration tolerance level even with an alignment that is dialed into .001".... The factory mounts last longer, are better designed and isolate engine vibrations better. If there is one thing I have learned over the years it is that the current mounts Westebeke/Universal ship with are EXCELLENT quality that do a better job than most aftermarket mounts at effectively isolating engine vibrations to the hull.

Sometimes when a boat already has them, this used to be Universal's factory supplied mount, I will replace them with like if the hole pattern is going to be an issue, but I never "like" doing it..

When I replaced the mounts on my own motor I ponied up for the Westerbeke mounts without question.

Also the hole pattern on BI mounts often does not line up with the factory Westerbeke mount...

A very common failure mode on BI mounts which makes alignment impossible..

And another one:

The factory Westerbeke mount was retired at 2172 hours of use even though they were still technically working. Other than a little sag there were no signs of failure in the rubber or the mount. You can't "spin" the stud on the Westerbeke mount because it is welded to the cover.

The two BI mounts were the second set this boat had installed in less than 800 hours use. One was snapped clean off and the other was spinning in the rubber. All of the mounts on this motor were spinning in the rubber except for the snapped one because I never tried it...

Sep 29, 2008
Will keep you all updated

Maine Sail has me leaning back toward the Westerbeke/Universal mounts. Interesting that the opinions on the Vetus are all over the place in the threads Stu posted. I have about 1300 hours on the engine at this point and the boat is 10 years old. Since I got the boat 5 years ago that engine has always been a bit noisy. Since changing the damper plate last winter it is definitely a bit noisier - nothing specific just a lot of little rattles all over leading me to think the new plate with springs as opposed to the teflon R&D allow a bit more vibration. Additionally, with the re-install I held off on re-installing the R&D flex coupling as it adds about an inch to the length of the shaft which puts it outside of recommendations. I may try re-installing that first as it originally did cut the vibrations down a lot. More to follow.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ray, our M25 has what MS shows as the BI mounts, not the Westerbeke ones with the enclosure as pictured. As far as I know the PO didn't change them out. What do you have on your M25XP engine? The other M25s & M25XPs I've seen also have the BI mounts.

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
The reason I stayed with the existing type "BI" DF-2205-2 motor mounts on our replacement ('84 C-30/ M-25) was for alignment. I could dial them in, one-for-one, with very little tweaking for the couplings. My concept was they were a great improvement over the old ones, even if they weren't the best design. I'd also vote for sticking with what's already there and use the Westerbekes.

Rob

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Again, the BI mounts offer much less in the way of lateral scope. My stern tube is sufficiently out of alignment I need the wider slot in the base.

Sep 29, 2008
Will check the mounts

I believe I have the Universal/Westerbeke mounts. From Witz's, Rob and Stu's comments it does sound like alignment/configuration has a big part. This weekend I will get a picture and then compare and make a decision. Before I do anything I may just reinstall the flex coupling as originally that did cut the noise and vibration down a bit. From the threads and discussions here there is no one single smoking gun to point to the problem, and it could be a combination of all the above.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
RP, when you mounted your damper, did you rotate the new assembly on the tranny input shaft to make sure there was no run-out before you bolted it back on the flywheel? If it is off, even by a smidgen it will cause vibration, and tear up the assembly again.

Oct 1, 2008
catalina 310 # 22 sausalito
Motor Mounts

Thinking I am going to replace my motor mounts. One of the guys in my marina recommended I used the Bushings DF-2205-2. He has an 18HP Universal in his Pearson 30. Says they have been fine. On the Torrenson Marine site they have the Universal 300514 which has been replaced by the Westerbeke 32013 and they list the Bushings DF-2205-2 as an after market. I want to be a little cautious as my sample size saying they are OK is 1 and Mains Sail says he only uses OEM for motor mounts. I also note that Stu linked to the Catalina 36 site that some people had been happy with the Vetus 50 motor mounts, but not everyone was happy. I am inclined to go with the DF-2205-2 as this guy is reliable, but he does have a slightly smaller engine. :confused:
I too had issues with origional motor mounts, When I went to replace with new my yard determined that the issue causing excessive viberation was not the mount themselves but the fact that the post was overly extended to line up with the prop shaft, their solution was to fabricate riser blocks approx 2 inches high which allowed us to clamp down the motor mount post which reduced noise and viberation . this solution has been very sucessful.
You might comsider same when replacing your mounts

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I too had issues with origional motor mounts, When I went to replace with new my yard determined that the issue causing excessive viberation was not the mount themselves but the fact that the post was overly extended to line up with the prop shaft, their solution was to fabricate riser blocks approx 2 inches high which allowed us to clamp down the motor mount post which reduced noise and viberation . this solution has been very sucessful.
You might comsider same when replacing your mounts
Did the same, when I replaced my mounts, blocked them up so I could keep the adjustment near the bottom.

Sep 29, 2008
No Slack

RP, when you mounted your damper, did you rotate the new assembly on the tranny input shaft to make sure there was no run-out before you bolted it back on the flywheel? If it is off, even by a smidgen it will cause vibration, and tear up the assembly again.
Witz, When I replaced the damper plate it was spot on as far as fit and alignment. For me there was no possible way to screw it up.

I am intrigued with the blocks to raise the motor mounts up. Will check them out this weekend. One thing that started all of this was I have noticed a little bit of rubber dust under the mounts.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Witz, When I replaced the damper plate it was spot on as far as fit and alignment. For me there was no possible way to screw it up.

I guess I'm confused on what you actually did?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Well this is what my motor mounts look liked 3 years ago.

Not sure where blocks and wire would go etc.

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Paul, The blocks sandwitch between the fiberglass rail and the bottom of the mount raising the entire mount bringing down the adjustment nut. This has the effect of reducing the torque on the mount, and also stiffens up the lateral movement.
Wire?

Sep 29, 2008
Now I am confused

I guess I'm confused on what you actually did?
Witz, I disconnected and removed the transmission; reached inside and unbolted the old damper plate; put slid the new damper plate in and the holes all lined up so I bolted in back in place. One hitch was at that point since the opening on the new damper plate was not all worn out I had to loosen the bolts on the top of the motor mounts, winch the engine up and then slide the transmission shaft into the now mounted damper plate and reconnect every thing. One picture is the opening and it is large enough to slide the damper plate through, and the other is the old damper plate.

PaulJ, I believe your motor mounts look like the ones I have but I can confirm tomorrow.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Witz, I disconnected and removed the transmission; reached inside and unbolted the old damper plate; put slid the new damper plate in and the holes all lined up so I bolted in back in place. One hitch was at that point since the opening on the new damper plate was not all worn out I had to loosen the bolts on the top of the motor mounts, winch the engine up and then slide the transmission shaft into the now mounted damper plate and reconnect every thing. One picture is the opening and it is large enough to slide the damper plate through, and the other is the old damper plate.

So you used another R&D damper plate?
My fly wheel did not have holes in it to mount the correct Sachs plate, maybe yours did? This is why I had to salvage the backing plat from my failed R&D and mount the new Sachs to it.

Sep 29, 2008
Witz, I replaced the r&d with a Sachs damper plate that has springs. I also made it to my boat and I have the motor mounts like paulj has.

Status
Not open for further replies.